Hardwood log homes are popular because they are strong and durable. Walnut, oak, and poplar are going to be your main choices. They are attractive, and are often easy to put together. However, one downfall with hardwoods is they can get very pricey depending on the region you want to build your log home in.
For good measure, what wood is used for cabins?
Pine and cedar are among the most commonly sourced wood types for the construction of log cabins in North America. There are two reasons for this: accessibility and price. First, pine and cedar are much easier to get ahold of than other more exotic wood types.
Then, can you build log cabin with green logs? Every log house builder has a problem using green (uncured) logs. Logs are expensive. It can take several years to fully cure a log. ... Most log house builders (even us) end up building with green logs which we know will shrink as they cure.
At any rate, how thick should a log cabin wall be?
The R-value for wood ranges between 1.41 per inch (2.54 cm) for most softwoods, and 0.71 for most hardwoods. Ignoring the benefits of the thermal mass, a 6-inch (15.24 cm) thick log wall would have a clear-wall (a wall without windows or doors) R-value of just over 8.
Do log cabins need foundations?
One of the most important decisions you make in building your log cabin is the foundation selection. ... Some types of foundations used for log cabin homes are slab, pier, crawlspace and basement. They all have advantages and disadvantages.
Paine's Medium Log Cabin Incense Burner Comes with 10 Balsam fir logs
River's Edge Products Birdhouse - Wood Log Cabin
- All wood construction
- Measures 7.5"x9"x7.5"
- Heavy duty wire rope included for hanging
- Removable plastic plug on bottom for cleaning
- Great gift idea
LINCOLN LOGS-Collector's Edition Village-327 Pieces-Real Wood Logs-Ages 3+ - Best Retro Building Gift Set for Boys/Girls-Creative Construction Engineeringâ€“Top Blocks Game Kit - Preschool Education Toy
- HOURS OF PLAYTIME FOR KIDS – Lincoln Logs offer long-lasting fun for children. This set allows kids to build a diverse range of log cabin models, thanks to their beautifully crafted stained real wood pieces. Let children play for hours with this engaging Lincoln Logs set.
- CLASSIC-STYLE TIN – The Collector’s Edition Village is packaged in a classic collectible tin. The tin is helpful for fast clean-up and easy storage, so once playtime is over, parents can store the pieces inside it to keep their homes tidy. This classic toy will evoke nostalgia in older generations and bring happiness to children.
- THREE BUILDING IDEAS – This toy set lets children create three model structures that can be built. Let your little builders explore and assemble their own constructions, as each set comes with a step-by-step instruction sheet to guide children during their playtime building.
- INCLUDES 327 PIECES – The package includes 327 pieces made of high-quality maple wood. Each has indentations that can be used to connect it with others. Pieces are included for the roofs, roof facades, logs, and chimneys. These log pieces are easy to hold and stack — perfect for children’s small hands.
- AMERICA’S NATIONAL TOY: Invented by John Lloyd Wright, son of famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, in 1916, LINCOLN LOGS has become America’s National Toy. Beloved by 4 generations of builders, LINCOLN LOGS provides hours of fun while building a solid foundation of STEAM/STEM subjects.
- DEVELOPMENT BENEFITS: LINCOLN LOGS supports key areas of a child’s development growth. As the stack the different part together and discover how the building system works, they’re strengthening hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, problem-solving skills, spatial awareness and exercising their imagination!
- COMMITMENT TO QUALITY: LINCOLN LOGS wooden parts and pieces are responsibly made in America with 70% of the wood coming from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified forests or other forestry managed timberlands. We test to the strictest quality and safety standards, ensuring that your child has a successful, trouble-free building experience.
- PARTS GUARANTEE: Broken part? Missing part? If you find yourself in need of a replacement for any reason, just give us a call! We’ll get you what you need so that your child can get back to building as soon as possible.
Complete Wood Cleaner & Wood Brightener Kit for Wood Decks, Wood Fences, Wood Siding, and Log Cabins - EFC38 & Citralic Restoration Kit - Woodrich Brand - Covers up to 750 SQ FT - Easy to Use
- REVITALIZES ALL WOOD TYPES: Use our cleaner and brightener on all wood types: Maple, Pine, Redwood, Oak, Ipe, Tigerwood, Purple Heart, Cedar, Douglas Fur, Brazilian Mahogany and Jatoba!
- RESTORES MOST WOOD SURFACES: Get cleaner and brighter looking wood for any restoration project including: wood deck, wood fence, wood siding, wooden floors, and log cabins.
- LOOKS LIKE NEW FRESH-CUT WOOD: After using this restoration kit, your wood will look new and freshly cut. SEE OUR BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES.
- BRIGHTENS WOOD WITHOUT BLEACHING: The Wood Brightener & Neutralizer quickly brightens your wooden surface without using bleach, which can damage your wood.
- CLEANS WOOD & STRIPS: Our Wood Cleaner cleans your dirty, old wood while gently stripping most existing oil based stains, dead grey wood fibers, dirt and grime.
SainSmart Jr. 450 PCS Wooden Log Cabin Set Building House Toy for Toddlers, Classic STEM Construction Kit with Colorful Wood Logs Blocks for 3+ Years Old
- Deluxe 450pcs blocks: Each pieces made of real, high-quality birch wood. Each has indentations that can be used to connect it with others. It includes roof, roof facade, walls, chimney, porch, fences like real house. Your little one can build their own house for hours.
- Colorful design for kids: Each piece is colored with precision and careful attention to detail to evoke the nostalgia of childhood. Most of Blocks are stained bright brown. The face of the roof is a muted red, and the rooftops are forest-green. Good entertainment for little builders.
- Parent participation: designed with STEM building concepts. Parents can participate with your kids, playtime will enhance their creativity as they analyze where each part should go. And it also bring parents back to childhood. Enjoy the happy family time for hours!
- Early learning and play: These classic building blocks encourages color learning, counting, and problem-solving skills and provide endless hours fun of building, counting, simple math, comparing, and all kinds of hands-on early learning!
- Natural and safe wooden: Made of 100% natural Birch wood and stained with non-toxic water-based paint. Fully tested to the highest U. S. Astm toy safety standards. A tremendous value that will last for years.
Woodpile Fun! Log Cabin Unfinished Wood Birdhouse
- CABIN DESIGN: Bring in the heart of a log cabin into your home with this elaborate birdhouse.
- UNFINISHED WOOD CONSTRUCTION: There is a natural color and wood grain look.
- CUSTOMIZABLE: Take the liberty of decorating this with paint, glitter, glue, stain, and more.
- FUN CRAFT FOR BEGINNERS: Keep it for youself or give this to children to decorate to their heart's delight.
- SIZE: 6.25" x 8.25" x 7.5"
Log Cabin Wallpaper Prepasted Bolt 27" x 324" Light to Medium Brown ML-Wood, York Wallcoverings
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Prepasted - Washable - Strippable
- Packaged and sold in bolts, 27" x 324", 60.75 sq. ft.
- Bolt dimensions 27 inches x 27 feet = 60.75 square feet
WELLAND Cedar Root Wood Log Side Table, End Table, Rustic Primitive Natural Live Edge
- WELLAND SIDE TABLE - Constructed of reclaimed cedar stumps with an easy care unique natural lacquer finish
- UNIQUE SHAPE - Each piece is hand-carved by skilled artisans, so no two are exactly alike as in nature, color ,shape and measurement may vary; They come from root or stump with wild grain patterns and natural shapes
- MULTIPURPOSE USES - WELLAND mushroom table can be used as a end table, chair side table, small coffee table, outdoor or indoor plant stand, or nightstand
- MORE CHOICE OF CEDAR - You can buy mushroom table and stools as a set decor, which will bring nature into the family life with their own unique organic charm
- Size: Approximately 21" x 14" x 19.2"; Unique gifts ideal for your friends and relatives; You can paint on the top as you like, which seems memorable. The painting process will also have great fun
Darice 9190-121 Wood Log Cabin for Craftwork, 7.7 by 5.8 by 7.9-Inch
- 7.7 by 5.8 by 7.9 inch
- Detailed Log Cabin Design
- Unfinished Wood
Log Cabin Wallpaper Prepasted 27 inches x 27 feet, Deep Rich Brown, York Wallcoverings DK-Wood
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Prepasted - Washable - Strippable
- Packaged and sold in a bolt 27" x 324" =60.75 sq. ft.
- Bolt dimension 27 inches x 27 feet= 60.75 square feet
- Guaranteed Completely Removable
15 More Questions Answered
Construction takes eight to nine months and ranges from $125 to $175 per square foot, Beauchesne says. “The typical cost for a turnkey log cabin, with land, can run anywhere from $175,000 up to $350,000 or more depending on the size,” he says.
is often used for log cabin
construction in Eastern regions of the United States. White pine
ranges from a white
to yellowish brown color
and is relatively lightweight. It has a uniform grain, is relatively low cost, and is resistant to the dangers of warping and shrinking.
Yes you can. But if you do not personally own the land you do not own the cabin. You can be charged with trespassing, littering, distraction of property and many other things our government can come up with for you possibly damaging protected land. If you cut down trees, and so on.
How many logs do you need? A log cabin that is 24 x 20ft and 9ft high will require 67 logs if the logs are all 10 inches in diameter. Use this page to get a specific calculation of logs required. When you know how many logs or trees your build will require, walk through your land to identify which trees you'll use.
one to two years
Similar to cant sawing, plain sawing begins with rotating and sawing the outer sides of a log into boards until the center is squared into a four-sided cant. Instead of leaving the cant as is, it is rotated and sawn to produce the maximum amount of lumber.
Softwoods like pine are very common for use in log cabins, provided that they're old enough to have some decay resistance. Yellow pine offers the best decay resistance, while white pine offers the least. Pine has a high shrinkage rate, but is stable once it's dried.
Living permanently in a log cabin home is actually perfectly possible as long as the correct level of insulation is installed and you fit double glazing etc.
One of the first questions people ask about log homes is "How Much Termite Damage Do They Get?" Well, rest assured: log homes are no more susceptible to termites than a traditional framed house. ... Termites thrive in a damp environment; they dehydrate when exposed to the air for too long.
Log Homes for Year Round Living. Log homes have the ability to create an extraordinary feel — that's what so many people love about them. ... Not only is year-round living a possibility, Gingrich log cabins make fantastic 4-season homes, complete with every feature and amenity you'd expect from any other custom house.
A log cabin should be placed on either concrete, a patio, paving slabs or decking.
around 280 days
Houses generally cost significantly more than small log cabins because log cabins are usually smaller in size. The average cost of building a log cabin versus building a house is only slightly different. The average cost of building a home is about $290,000.
New Construction Costs Per Square Foot
Square FeetAverage Range
|900||$90,000 - $180,000|
|1,000||$100,000 - $200,000|
|1,200||$120,000 - $240,000|
|1,500||$150,000 - $300,000|