The most effective pencil grips I have found are "Specialist Pencil Grips". They guide finger placement and are likely to be used correctly by the child trying to alter their pencil grasp. The Pencil Grip provides ergonomic support of the hand in a tripod position.
And, does hypermobility affect handwriting?
Many hypermobile children cope very well with school, but gHSD and hEDS can cause some difficulties. 'Problems with handwriting are quite common, as children can struggle to hold and control their pencil correctly,' says Jane. 'Their participation in PE can also be affected by pain and joint instability.
Apart from this, should you use pencil grips? Most kids do not need to use a pencil grip. I rarely recommend having a student use a special grip, and when I do recommend it, it means that the grip really does help.
In addition, what type of grasp is used to hold a pencil?
Why is proper pencil grip important?
Holding a pencil or pen correctly requires strong finger and hand muscles and dexterity. A correct pencil grip will enable the writer to move the fingers, controlling the pencil or pen with efficient finger movements. ... Incorrect pencil grip is painful and causes the child's hand and arm to fatigue quickly.
School Specialty 022438 Grotto Grip Pencil Accessory (Pack of 3)
- Sold as a Pack of 3
- Covered finger spots and a partition promote correct pencil usage
- The large, comfortable grip fits any child's hand
- The symmetrical shape for makes it work for left- or right-handed users
- Proven to be helpful to beginning writers
Faber-Castell Triangular Colored EcoPencils - 24 Count
- 24 COLORS: Features 24highly pigmented triangular shaped Faber-Castell colored pencils
- SMOOTH, VIBRANT COLORS: Highly pigmented for smooth, gorgeous color lay down. Faber-Castell's special formula blends easily and doesn't flake.
- TRIANGULAR SHAPED: Triangle shape gives better control and are easy to hold! These pencils will not roll off a desk and are great for young artists
- BREAK RESISTANT LEADS: Special secured bonding of lead throughout the entire pencil barrel means easy to sharpen pencils that are break resistant
- SAFE FOR KIDS: Non-toxic, acid free, conforms to ASTM D-4236 and great for ages 5+
DIX33312 - Ticonderoga Pencil with Eraser,12 count
- Sold as 1 DZ.
- A favorite choice for that important "1st" No.2 pencil.
- Large diameter.
- Pre-sharpened for immediate use.
The Pencil Grip Crossover Grip Metallic Ergonomic Writing Aid for Righties and Lefties, 12 Count Assorted Colors (TPG-17712)
- "Wings" hold fingers in place and stop them from crossing over
- Great for Righties & Lefties
- Gently places fingers in the proper position for gripping
- Designed by doctors, tested by kids, approved by parents
- Fits on pencils, pens, crayons & many drawing and writing tools
The Pencil Grip Mini Pencil Grips 50 Pack, Assorted Bright Colors (TPG-17550)
- Compares to the Stetro Grip
- High quality & comfortable
- Designed for Righties & Lefties
- Made by The Pencil Grip, Inc., the leader in ergonomic writing aids
- 50 count in assorted bright colors
Ring-pen Ultra Grip Support for Writing and Art Tools (Medium Blue, Royal Blue)
- Functionality of the Original Ring Pen with Ultra Versatility
- Right Hand Grip Aide for Writing and Art Tools
- Medium Size
- Includes 1 Ultra Grip and 1 Crystal Bic Pen
Pathways For Learning Grotto Grips 3 Pack
- Grotto Grip …Target, Activate and Train Proper Muscles for Writing ; This patented, ergonomic pencil grip was designed and tested by pediatric occupational therapists specializing in handwriting
- The Grotto Grip immediately decreases hand fatigue & pencil pressure and, with consistent use, increases writing endurance & pencil control while actually training the hand muscles to hold a writing utensil properly
- Grotto Grip : Not just a comfort grip, but a powerful training tool
Mr. Pen- Pencil and Pen Grips, 12 Pack, Black, Pencil Grips for Adults, Rubber Pencil Grips, Pen Grips for Adults with Arthritis, Ergonomic Pencil Grip, Pen Gripper, Pencil Cushions for Writing
- Mr. Pen Black Pencil and Pen Grip, 12 Pack
- Ergonomic, Silicone Grip Provides Supreme Comfort and Efficiency
- Mr. Pen Grips Are Designed to Prevent Chronic Pain, and Callouses Even When Writing for a Long Time
- Grips Come in 2 Different sizes to Fit Different Pen Sizes
- Ideal for Individuals with Chronic Painsuch as Arthritis, or Tendonitis in Their Hands, Wrists, or Fingers
The Pencil Grip Original Universal Ergonomic Writing Aid for Righties and Lefties, 6 Count, Assorted Colors (TPG-11106)
- Benefits Adults & Children, Righties & Lefties
- #1 Grip recommended by therapists to help kids write
- Arthritis Foundation recommended as "easy" and "comfortable"
- Fits on pencils, pens, crayons & many drawing and writing tools
- The original grip that continues to set the standard; Designed by doctors, tested by kids, approved by parents
Mr. Pen- Pencil Grips for Kids Handwriting, Pencil Grips, Pack of 10, Pencil Grip, Kids Pencils Grip, School Supplies, Grip Pencils for Kids, School Supplies for Kids, Pencil Holder for Kids, Pen Grip
- Mr. Pen Pencil Grips Are Designed To Effectively Help Kids And Adults In Correctly Position And Hold Pencils
- The Package Includes: 10 Pencil Grips In 5 Different Colors, And 10 Pencil Grip Clips
- Soft Pencil Grips Made From Silicone Gel, ABSOLUTELY NO SMELL, Prevent Writing Fatigue, Soreness, Irritations And Blisters
- Perfect Design Works For Right-Handed And Left-Handed Use
- Fits On Pencils, Pens Without Grips, Crayons And Other Standard Size Writing Instruments
6 More Questions Answered
Generalised joint hypermobility (GJH) is reportedly overrepresented among clinical cases of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and developmental coordination disorder (DCD).
The experience of anxiety is greater and more frequent in people living with this condition than in the general population. Dr Jessica Eccles can explain this increase in anxiety by the fact that people with hypermobility are more sensitive to bodily feelings, such as changes in sensations like heart rate.
The best way to stay fit and healthy is by doing regular exercise that you enjoy. Some of the best things to do if you are hypermobile are to go swimming and/or cycling. These two sports avoid lots of impact through your joints, strengthen your muscles and help your heart and lungs stay healthy.
Children who form an incorrect pencil
grip may face issues with their fine motor skills
and with writing in the
short- and long-term.
Pencil Grips - 6 Pack
Pencil Grips for Kids Handwriting, Ergonomic Writing Training Aid......
- The Original Universal Ergonomic Pencil Grip. ...
- The Pencil Grip Crossover Grip. ...
- The Pencil Grip Pinch Grip. ...
- Pencil Grips - BUSHIBU Children Pen Writing Aid Grip.