Dual band antennas have lots of practical uses, especially for mobile devices. These antennas operate on two bands or frequencies (similar to radio stations) and can either work on these different frequencies one at a time or simultaneously, depending on the capabilities of the individual antenna.
Apart from, how close can I mount two VHF UHF antennas?
The easy answer is that you should maintain a minimum mounting distance of at least 1/4 wavelength apart for the lowest frequency antenna within the same horizontal plane. For VHF antennas, that translates to roughly 19 inches. This is the rule we use when installing omni antennas on a the trunk of a vehicle.
All the same, what is NMO antenna mount? A popular type of antenna mount is called an “NMO” which stands for new Motorola. ... NMO mounts are devised to have a standard threaded connector where you screw on the antenna of choice to the mount of choice. The NMO mount itself connects to the antenna and provides the antenna cable as well.
Still further, what kind of antenna do I need for ham radio?
Different Types Of Ham Radio Antenna
- Wire Antenna. Wire antenna is the most common type of antenna used in ham radios. ...
- Log Periodic Antenna. ...
- Microwave Antenna. ...
- Traveling Wave Antenna. ...
- Reflector Antenna. ...
- Dual Band VHF/UHF Antenna. ...
- Dipole Antenna. ...
- EFHW Antenna.
What is the best dual band mobile antenna?
- Tram 1185- Best Dual Band Mobile Antenna.
- Bingfu VHF UHF Police Scanner Antenna.
- Workman Magnetic Mobile Antenna.
- Super Antenna MP1DXTR80 HF SuperWhip.
- Tram Amateur Dual Band Hi-Gain Hi-Power Magnet Antenna.
- VFAN Dualband Mobile Antenna.
- The Survival Antenna.
- HYS TC-110M Mag Mount Base.
Dualband Mobile Antenna 2m/70cm VHF/UHF Ham Radio, 137-149, 437-480 Mhz, Magnet Base PL-259 Connector, 10 Ft RG58 Cable
- Include: X1 18 inches Dual-Band VHF & UHF Antenna, X1 10 Ft RG58 Cable with PL-259 Connector and Magntic Base.
- Fastly Installation: 2.95" Strong Rare Earth Magnet Base. Fix it on the car roof in a second.
- High Performance: To get better Performance, You can change the antenna positions on the top of car. Omni-Directional Dual-Band VHF & UHF (137-149,437-480 Mhz),VSWR: Less 1.4 (145 Mhz)/ Less 1.2 (455 Mhz),Gain 2dBi/ 3dBi
- More Durable: Waterproof Design,Stainless Steel Antenna,RG58 Heavy duty Cable,Antifreeze materials
- Quality Assured: One Year Warranty, Just Replace New for you if quality problem.
Tram Amateur Dual Band Hi-Gain Hi-Power Magnet Antenna (11861)
- 2.4Dbd gain on 144mhz-148mhz, 1/2 wave
- 5Dbd gain on 440mhz-450mhz, 5/8 over 5/8 wave
- Pre tuned for ease of use
- 180W power Rating
- Quality 1-piece coil & 3 1/2 inch Magnet housing
Tram Browning 1191 Amateur Dual Band Glass Mount Antenna UHF 440-450 MHz and VHF 144-148 MHz PL-259 for Icom HYT Vertex Mobiles two way radio antenna
- 144-147 Mhz 2.5 dBd
- 440-450 MHz 4.5 dBd
Bingfu Dual Band VHF UHF 136-174MHz 400-470MHz Ham Radio Antenna Handheld Two Way Radio Magnetic Base SMA Male Antenna for Ham Radio BaoFeng UV-3R Icom Yaesu Vertex Standard Horizon Marine VHF Radio
- Frequency Range: VHF 136-174MHz, UHF 400-470MHz; Feature: Magnetic Base Mounting; Gain: 8dBi; Direction: Omni-directional; Antenna Cable: 3m RG174 Cable; Cable Connector: SMA Male Connector; Package List: 1 x Antenna (As the Picture Shown);
- Compatible with Ham Radio: YAESU VX-160, VX-2R, VX-3R, VX-7R, VX-6R, VX-8R, FT-60R, FT-817, VX130, VX131, VX160, VX-168, VX180, VX210, VX210A, VX-231, VX-350, VX-351VX400, VX410, VX420, VX-130, VX-131, VX-132, VX-160, VX-180, VX-210, VX-210A, VX-230, VX-354,, VX-414, VX-420, VX-424, VX-600, VX-800, VX-820, VX-821, VX-824, VX-829, VX-900, VX-920, VX-921, VX-924, VX-929, VX-970, VX-971, VX-974, VX-979;
- Compatible with Ham Radio: BAOFENG UV-100, UV-100 MARK II, UV-200, UV-200 MARK II, UV-3R, UV-3R MARK II, BF-U3; TYT TH-2R, TH-446, TH-F5, TH-F7, TH-F8, THUV3R, THUV8R, TH-UVF1, THUVF8D, TH-UVF9, TYT-777, TYT-900;
- Compatible with Ham Radio: LINTON LT-5800, LT-6100, LT-6600; PUXING PX-2R, PX-325, PX-358, PX-A6; MYT MYT-Q1, MYT-Q7; WOUXUN KG-UV6D;
- Compatible with Marine VHF Two Way Radio: Standard Horizon HX210 HX870 HX890 HX300 HX380 HX40 HX280 HX290 HX370;
Tram 144mhz/440mhz Dual Band Pre Tuned Amateur Glass-Mount Antenna (1191)
- Free: 144mhz-148mhz/440mhz-450mhz
- 2.5Dbd gain VHF/4.5Dbd gain UHF
- Max power 50W
- Extra-long Whip for superior gain & wide bandwidth
- 28" tall
Bingfu Ham Radio Vehicle Car Mobile Radio Antenna Dual Band VHF UHF 136-174MHz 400-520MHz Magnetic Base PL259 Male Antenna for BTECH ICOM Kenwood Midland Yaesu TYT AnyTone Amateur Radio Two Way Radio
- Frequency Range: VHF 136-174MHz, UHF 400-520MHz; Feature: Strong Magnetic Base Mount; Compatible with: Amateur Radio; Car Mobile Radio; Ham Radio; FRS GMRS Radio; Two Way Radio; Public Radio Scanner; Marine VHF Radio;
- Antenna Cable: 3m / 10 feet RG58/U Cable; Cable Connector: UHF PL259 Male Connector; Accessoried Adapter: SMA Female to UHF SO239 Female Connector Adapter; Antenna Height: 47cm; Weight: 280g; Package List: 1 x Antenna; 1 x SMA Female Connector Adapter (As the Picture Shown)
- Compatible with Amateur Mobile Radio: BTECH, ICOM, Kenwood, Midland, Yaesu, TYT, AnyTone, Radioddity, Cobra, Uniden, President, Galaxy Audio, Pro Trucker, Stryker; Compatible with Marine VHF Two Way Radio: Uniden, Cobra, ICOM, Garmin, Standard Horizon Eclipse Series;
- Compatible with Amateur Mobile Radio: BTECH UV-50X2 UV-25X2; ICOM 2300H F6021 A120; Kenwood TM-D710G; Midland MXT275; Yaesu Original FTM-3100R FT-2980R FT-2980; TYT TH-9800 TH-7800; AnyTone AT-5555N AT-588UV AT-6666 AT-D578UV AT-788UV; Radioddity DB25;
- Compatible with Marine VHF Two-Way Radio: Uniden UM380 UM380BK UM385 UM385BK UM415 UM415BK UM435 UM435BK; Cobra MRF45D MRF57B MRF57W MRF77B MRF77W; Standard Horizon Eclipse Series GX1300 GX1400 GX1400GW GX1400GB GX1600 GX1600B GX1800 GX1800GB GX1800GW GX1800B GX1850 GX1850B GX1850GW GX2000B GX6000; ICOM M330 M330G M506 M605;
TRAM(R) 10280 144mhz/430mhz Dual-Band Pre-Tuned Amateur Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna, Silver
- Freq: 144mhz-148mhz/430mhz-450mhz
- 2.4dbd Gain Vhf/4.5dbd Gain Uhf
- 37" Tall Chrome Finish Nmo Mounting Antenna With Gold Plated Plunger Type Contact Pin
- Solid Brass Nmo Mount With Gold-plated Brass Contact Pin & High-frequency, Fully-enclosed, Fully- Shielded & Fully-weatherized Die-cast Zinc Housing
- Stainless Steel L-bracket With Chrome Finish For Trunk Groove Or Side Mounting
- Can Be Mounted In 3/4" Hole
- 17ft Rg58/u Low Loss Premium Cable With Uhf Male Pl-259 Connector
Diamond MR77SMA 144/440 Mobile Mag Antenna SMA Connector
- DIAMOND 146/446 MHz Mini Dual-Band MobDIAMOND 146/446 MHz Mini Dual-Band Mobile Antenna w/ Mini Magnet Mount & Cable RG-58/U Length Approx. 13ft , Black, Gain: 2.15 / 3.4 dBi, Connector: SMA, Antenna Length: 20", Max Watts: 70, Magnet Diameter 2.6" SMA CONNECTOR
Comet SBB-5NMO 2M/70cm Dual Band Mobile Antenna
- Dualband Mobile Antenna
- Coverage: 2M, 70cm
- Max Power: 120 watts
- Length: 38"
- Connector: NMO
HYS TC-110M CB/VHF/UHF/HF Ham Radio Antenna Magnet Mount SO-239 Connection Style W/5M(16.4ft) RG58 Coaxial Cable PL-259 Plug
- SO-239 Connection Style W/5M(16.4ft) RG58 Coaxial Cable PL-259 Plug
- SO-239 Mount Magnetic base:Base Diameter: 110mm/ 4.3"
- Size 4.3" Magnetic Base Pull Strength 30.8 lbs
- Suitable for all kind of SL16-MALE, UHF-MALE, PL259 antenna and SO239 mobile radio
- The magnetic base Easy to install, plug and play installation.
6 More Questions Answered
2.4 ghz antennas and 5 ghz antennas are completely different and not interchangeable. Yes, they use 5ghz antennas on a 5ghz router, connected to a separate radio, and don't simply put 2.4ghz antennas there because they have a bunch....
All you need is: Any two antennas. We also recommend an antenna amplifier like this one: Channel Master Titan 2 High-Gain UHF VHF TV Antenna Preamplifier (CM-7777) from Solid Signal to make sure the signal is as strong as it can be. Connect the two antennas to the combiner using equal length cables.
An antenna amplifier
may connected as a pre-amp
on the main external antenna
or in conjunction with a coaxial cable
splitter. ... You
may use two
or more TV amplifiers
to boost the signal
in your home.
In fact almost all TV antennas can bring in VHF signals no matter what they're designed for. For that matter, most of them can bring in cellular, police band, aircraft, what have you. They just don't do it very well. An antenna has to be specially designed to reject other signals.
For best performance, mount the antenna on a metal or aluminium roof in the center. The ½ wave NGP (No Ground Plane) antennas do not require a ground plane (meaning, metal surface) but it is always best to have enough metal surface area over 2'x 2' area. Mount NMO connector to a 3/8” hole in roof or roll bar top.
As explained, the NMO is a 1 1/8 inch threaded connector. The mount part might fit through a 3/4 hole, a 3/8 hole, a trunk mount, or a mag mount.