The 10 Best Japanese Chef Knives Your Kitchen Needs
- Dalstrong 6-inch Nakiri Vegetable Knife.
- Shun Classic 8-inch Japanese Knife.
- Masamoto Japanese Cobalt Steel Sashimi Knife.
- Masanobu VG-10 Damascus Santoku.
And, who makes the best Japanese kitchen knives?
7 Best Japanese Knives of 2020 to Tackle Any Kitchen Task
- Best Overall Japanese Knife: Shun Classic 8.
- Best Value Japanese Knife: Global 8 inch, 20 cm Chef's Knife.
- Longest-Lasting Japanese Knife: Miyabi 34373-203 Chef's Knife.
- Sturdiest Japanese Knife: KUMA 8-inch Chef Knife.
- Most Ergonomic Japanese Knife: Shun Premier 8.
Further, why are Japanese knives the best? Thinner, harder, sharper are the important trio of attributes for an excellent kitchen knife. A Japanese knife has thinner, sharper bevels made of harder steel that keep their edge for longer. ... The harder the steel and the better quality steel, the longer the edge stays sharp.
Nevertheless, what is a Gyuto knife used for?
Gyuto (牛刀): (beef-sword) This knife is known as the chef's knife used for professional Western cuisine. When preparing vegetables, it is used in the form of chopping or thrust-cutting near the heel of the knife. The gyuto is used to rock-chop stiffer produce and to make fine cuts at the tip of the knife.
Should I buy a Japanese knife?
Japanese knives are not only the best in the world. They are works of art that you can actually use. ... The knives are harder and thus more fragile and must be carefully maintained. The hard steel of a Japanese kitchen knife should not be sharpened with a sharpening steel.
8 Inch Chef Knife by Findking-Dynasty series-3 layer 9CR18MOV clad steel w/octagon handle Gyuto Knife
- DYNASTY SERIES BLADE QUALITY - Findking’s dynasty series uses 9CR18MOV. A great steel for the everyday use of any chef. With an HRC of 60+/-2 it will take an angled edge and hold it for long enough to help extend the life of your knife (w/ general maintenance). The clad dimple allow for easy food release while slicing or dicing. This blade is great for vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats. Please refrain from cutting frozen products as this may detriment the knife's edge.
- DYNASTY SERIES HANDLE - is crafted from African rosewood, and is a great compliment to the beauty and comfort to the knife user. The stability of the handle allows the user full manipulation of the blade. This makes for effective use for precision, and endurance cuts. This handle makes mis en plas (food prep) FUN again
- WEIGHT/BALANCE- The balance point runs heel to spine up the billet. Allowing the user a comfortable grip with precise cuts, and less wear and tear on the users hands. The weight is towards the blade of the knife making for efficient use during rock chopping motion
- DESIGN- Dynasty series chef knives are designed to show the beauty of eastern chef’s knives. While focusing on comfortability, and efficiency for the everyday chef. Blade length is 21cm and handle length is 15.5 cm with an overall length of 36.5cm. When a pinch grip is used the blade length is considered “true 8” inch” where the user will be able to maximize maneuverability of the blades cutting edge
- OUR PROMISE- Quality is a massive focus of Findking’s products. As a promise to our customers, price will not be affected by our strive for the highest quality in our products.
Yoshihiro VG-10 46 Layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife (Octagonal Ambrosia Handle) (8.25" (210mm))
- The VG-10 Hammered Damascus Series has been a perennial best seller, combining performance, beauty, and extraordinary value.
- [[TRADITIONAL GYUTO STYLE] The most versatile and essential of all knives a cook can have is a Japanese chefs knife known as a Gyuto knife.
- The Gyuto is a Japanese chefs knife with a curved blade that smoothly rocks back and forth and has an extended tip for quick chopping that can be used to cut meat, fish, and vegetables.
- [46 LAYERS DAMASCUS VG-10] Proudly made in Japan and forged and hammered with 46 layers of steel in the Damascus tradition with a VG-10 Core.
- [HAMMERED TEXTURE] The hammered texture of the blade eliminates friction and keeps food from sticking to the blade.
- [ERGONOMIC OCTAGONAL WA-HANDLE] This knife is complimented with a traditional Japanese Wa-style handcrafted Octagonal Handle that is lightweight and ergonomically welds to the hand for seamless use.
- [INCLUDED SAYA KNIFE COVER] A protective wooden sheath called a Saya is included, which protects the knife and adds to its appearance when not in use.
- [WHETSTONE RECOMMENDED] Traditional Japanese knife making values a sharp edge, which requires attention and care. Sharpening and honing should be done with only water whetstones.
- [CARE & HANDLING] Hand wash and dry only, and do so immediately if working with acidic ingredients. Do not use on objects such as bones, nutshells, and frozen foods.
- From dicing, slicing, and chopping fresh produce from a farmer’s market to carving a roast chicken straight from the oven, even the simplest tasks are elevated with a handcrafted knife that is as beautiful as it is functional.
Yoshihiro VG10 16 Layer Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife (8.25'' (210mm))
- Gyuto Chef's Knife is the most versatile and essential of all chef knives perfect for dicing, slicing, and chopping fresh produce to carving a roast chicken straight from the oven.
- 3 Layer construction with a VG-10 Japanese stainless steel center core with a HRC 60 for exceptional sharpness, edge retention, and durability with ease of sharpening.
- An elegant 16 layer hammered outer steel is a stylish yet functional design eliminating friction and keeping food from sticking to the blade
- A premium Mahogany wood handle with a full tang for a well balanced construction for seamless use.
- Excellent for entry level chefs. Hand wash only and sharpen on quality whetstones. Comes ready to use out of the box. 100% handcrafted by skilled tradesmen in Japan. Not mass produced.
[8 Inch]Chef Knife,FANTECK Kitchen Knife VG10 Damascus Professional Sharp High Carbon Stainless Steel 67-Layer Meat Sushi Fruit Cutting Gyuto Chef Knife[Gift Box]Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle-Acrylic Rim
- ULTRA SHARP 8 INCHES DAMASCUS CHEF KNIFE: V-sharp edge accurately hand sharpened to 10-15°per side for an effortless slicing experience. This chef knife is suitable for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing any fruit, fish, meat, sushi and vegetables.
- VG-10 JAPANESE DAMASCUS STEEL HIGH CARBON MATERIAL: Expertly crafted from 67 Layers VG-10 Japanese high carbon stainless steel ensures exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. V-Glod 10 Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness. Vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cooling technique are implemented, thus get the best characterization of the steel.
- COMFORTABLE ERGONOMIC PAKKA HANDLE with ACRYLIC RIM: The ergonomics handle contribute excellent grip and perfect balance, superior control, agility and comfort with ergonomic brown Pakkawood handle with acrylic rim.
- EXQUISITE GIFT BOX & MINI SHARPENER & KNIFE SHEATH: This Japanese Damascus Chef Knife with a exquisite Gift Box, a mini sharpener and a knife sheath is very suitable as a gift to parents and friends on kinds of festivals, such as Mother's Day, Father's Day、Thanksgiving Day、Black Friday、Christmas day、New Year、Easter Day、Halloween、birthday, etc.
- FANTECK CARE: 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK. Try it risk free. Superior products that will give you a lifetime of exemplary service. We are committed to providing our customers with quality products and friendly service.
YOSHIHIRO Ice Hardened High Carbon Stainless Steel Wa Gyuto Japanese Chef Knife 8.25" (210mm)
- YOSHIHIRO- Molybdenum steel Wa Gyuto Chef Knife 8.25" 210mm
- Made in Japan
- Gyuto Chef Knife
Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone 2 Side Grit 1000/6000 Waterstone- Whetstone Knife Sharpener- NonSlip Bamboo Base & Angle Guide
- ✅ Superior Bundle: Your complete knife sharpening kit comes with double-sided (#1000/ #6000) premium quality whetstone, bamboo base for holding the stone, knife sharpening angle guide, a simple instruction manual & detailed ebook with lots of Tips & Tricks which will appeal at every skill level
- ✅ Multipurpose Use: Our professional-grade knife sharpener stone is highly durable & long-lasting. This whetstone sharpener can sharp ANY BLADE out there, be it any kitchen knife set, chef knife, steak knife, sontoku knife, paring knife, sushi knife, cleaver knife, kitchen knives, Japanese knife, butcher knife, paring knife, BBQ knife, Hunting Knife, Pocket Knife, Scissor, Chisel, Blade, Straight Razor & it can even sharp an axe.
- ✅ Safety: We understand the importance of safety when dealing with sharpening tools, your purchase comes with a Silicone base for holding the stone inside Non-Slip Bamboo base, this setup will ensure the stone is Fixed In One Place while sharpening. And knife sharpening angle guide allows you to maintain the Correct Angle and safely apply consistent pressure while sharpening the blade
- ✅ Easy To Use: Our sharpening Waterstone kit is extremely User Friendly & easy to assemble. Knife sharpener stone uses Water for sharpening, so no need of expensive sharpening/honing oils and No Mess while sharpening & it can be easily cleaned using water
- ✅ Premium Quality: Not all sharpening stones are created equal. We only import & source premium quality material for the manufacturing of our Whetstone which will provide superior cutting performance. No Compromise on quality. Get this simple yet unparalleled tool, used by everyone from stay at home moms to various professionals
YOSHIHIRO NSW 46 layers Hammered Damascus Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife 8.25 inch(210mm) Shitan Handle with Magnolia Saya Cover
- Grade : NSW Damascus / Knife Type: Gyuto(Chef’s Essential Knife)
- Steel Type: VG-10 Hammered Damascus NSW Stainless Steel
- Blade: Double-Edged (50/50) / Blade length: 8.25 Inch (210mm)
- Handle Material: Octagonal-Shaped Shitan Rosewood with Mahogany Bolster
- Hardness Rockwell C scale: 60 / Saya Cover: Natural Magnolia Saya Included
Yoshihiro Kurouchi Black-Forged Blue Steel Stainless Clad Gyuto Chefs Knife (8.25'' (210mm) & Saya)
- Kurouchi translates as “Black-Forged” and this unique style of forging offers a characteristic look and an unpolished rustic aesthetic finish to the blade. With a HRC of 62-63, the core of Blue Steel #2 is prized for its high edge retention and provides an extremely sharp edge that is able to maintain its sharpness over extended period of time. The Kurouchi Stainless Cladding allows the blade to be more forgiving to moisture while still having superior edge retention and sharpness intact.
- Our Yoshihiro Kurouchi Stainless Clad Knives are clad in 2 layers of full Kurouchi stainless steel that provides durability and protection without sacrificing its sharp cutting edge. Traditional Kurouchi knives will always be made out of highly reactive carbon steel but this knife is exceptional in that the Kurouchi finish is on the Stainless Cladding which is a new development in modern metallurgy and is highly rare and difficult to forge.
- The most versatile and one of the most popular knives that a cook can have today is a Japanese all-purpose chefs knife known as a Santoku knife. Santoku is Japanese for three virtues referring to the shape of the blade which comprises aspects of the traditional vegetable knife , Usuba, and Gyuto in one knife making it a favorite among chefs and cooks everywhere.
- Proudly made in Japan and not mass produced. This knife is complimented with a traditional Japanese Wa-style handcrafted Octagonal Handle that is lightweight and ergonomically welds to the hand for seamless use. An optional and recommended protective wooden sheath called a Saya can be purchased together, which protects the knife and adds to its appearance when not in use. Every knife from Yoshihiro is handcrafted by master artisans creating a unique one-of-a-kind work of art.
- Traditional Japanese knife making values a sharp edge, which requires attention and care. Sharpening and honing should be done with only water whetstones. Hand wash and dry only, and do so immediately if working with acidic ingredients. Do not use on objects such as bones, nutshells, and frozen foods. Carbon steel can oxidize if not properly maintained. Keep dry and oil regularly to prevent oxidation along the knife's edge.
Seki Japan KANETSUGU Japanese Chef Kitchen Knife, AUS8 SUS410 Stainless Steel Gyuto Knife, Rose Wood Handle, 210 mm (8.3 in)
- Gyuto Knife can cut and divide steak meat, cut and clean fish and make sushi, and slice and chop vegetables. Gyutoku knives are used as often as Santoku knives.
- The curved blade tip enables you to cut the cross section of food neatly by drawing the knife towards yourself. Because the tip of the blade is very sharp, it can pierce food easily and separate meat and bones by cutting off the bones from the meat of the meat.
- When people go to buy a knife for their home use, the first thing that comes to mind is most likely stainless steel.There are indeed some merits associated with stainless steel knives. Rust resistance is top on the list for these merits. They are low maintenance and can be used for a long period of time. In fact, there are various grades and types of stainless steel used in kitchen knives, and professionals pay close attention to the type of stainless steel used in the knives they purchase.
- Blade length : 210mm / Blade : AUS8 SUS410 Stainless Steel, Handle : Wood (Rose)
- Seki city is known for its cutlery industry and manufactures the majority of cutlery, such as kitchen knives, Japanese swords, pocket knives, scissors, letter openers, etc., within the nation. The Seki cutlery is famous for its high quality not only domestically but also overseas. These strong and precise knives are made one by one by Japanese craftsmen.
Enso Chef's Knife - Made in Japan - HD Series - VG10 Hammered Damascus Stainless Steel Gyuto - 8"
- Chef Knife handcrafted in Seki City, Japan; 8 inch blade (13-3/8 inches overall); Weighs 7.9 ounces (225 grams)
- Japanese VG10 steel cutting core for excellent edge retention; Rockwell Hardness 61
- 37-layer stainless Damascus blades with hammered (tsuchime) finish
- Black canvas micarta handle for a similar look and feel to wood without the worry of cracking
- Double bevel edge for both right and left-handed use; All Enso chef's knives come with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects
10 More Questions Answered
The high cost is a result of many factors: the high-end materials cost, extra labour of forge welding together multiple layers, the fact most of the high-priced knives
are forged on a small scale
and they make them by hand (artisan workshop usually have 2–4 students + blade Master orchestrating them).
Yes, the knives will be substantially cheaper in Japan in most cases. Exchange rates also come into play. There is also more markup by the US sellers because they are carrying a product with such limited domestic availability.
are the top German knife manufacturers. Wusthof
is owned and run by the Wusthof
, now known as Zwilling J.A. Henckels
, is a conglomerate and owns a variety of companies, including Staub cast iron
and Demeyere cookware, as well as the revered Zwilling J.A. Henckels
Both Wusthof and Shun blades are incredibly durable and known for their long-lasting edge retention. However, Wusthof blades are technically more durable while Shun's hold their edge better.
Japanese-Style Steel Knives made by Japanese manufacturers traditionally use high-carbon steel. It's a superior material for knife blades because it holds its super-sharp edge longer than stainless steel, due to a rating of 60-61 on the Rockwell scale. High-carbon steel is significantly harder but also more brittle.
In Japan, a triangular boning knife called a honesuki is used for boning chicken and red meats. It also makes an amazing general purpose utility knife! ... These long, slender, razor sharp knives are called sujihiki in Japan. They are well suited for slicing steaks due to the extra long blade.
Single bevel knives are favored in specific types of cooking, such as Japanese, as they offer a key advantage – they are extremely sharp. This is due to the fact they only need to be honed on one side so it is easier to create a much smaller, thus sharper, angle.
Gyutou are the Japanese equivalent of a typical European chef's knife. They are the ideal all-purpose kitchen knives and can be used for most tasks. Japanese gyutou are typically lighter and thinner than a European knife, are made out of a harder steel and as a result, hold a better edge.
Harder Japanese knives will hold an edge better; however, that same harder steel is less durable and more prone to chipping or even breaking. The softer-steel German knives are far more durable, but won't maintain an edge for as long as the harder steel.
Technically Santoku knives are a type of chef's knife but they vary in shape and style to the traditional French and German style knives. The main difference between a santoku knife and a chef's knife is that santoku knives are better suited to precision cutting, where you need really thin cuts.