Best Fireplace Grates – (Editors' Choice)SteelFreak Heavy Duty Steel Fireplace Grate. ... Uniflame C-1546 Grate. ... Amagabeli Garden & Home Fireplace Log Grate. ... HY-C Liberty Foundry Basket Style Fireplace Grate. ... Rocky Mountain Goods Fireplace Grate with Ember Retainer. ... GO Heavy Duty Steel Fireplace Grate.
Basically, which is better cast iron or steel fireplace grate?
Wood on the other hand can be burned on a steel grate or a cast iron grate, however they have a tendency to hold the embers on the grate blocking the air from reaching the wood. Cast iron grates tend to last longer than the average steel bar grate with the exception of very heavy steel bar grates.
Secondly, how do I choose the right size fireplace grate? Once you have your measurements, follow these simple guidelines: The grate should be no wider than the back of your fireplace; dimension (A) shown above. Our grates come in widths of 11, 16, 21, 26, and 31 inches. If needed, we even have a special tapered Rumford fireplace grate with a rear width of 12 inches.
In any manner, should I use a fireplace grate?
Not only does this keep your fuel firmly in place, but it keeps it off the fireplace floor, as well. This helps your burn stronger fires and puts less wear and tear on your fireplace, as a whole. ... A fireplace grate will protect your chimney floor by keeping that intense heat off of it.
Can you use rebar for fireplace grate?
Material Selection: After a few internet searches I concluded that rebar was the most viable material to use in lieu or cast iron. Rebar is cheap, it is easy to weld, and it has a relatively high carbon content which means it will take longer to break down in the fire compared to other steels.
Hykolity 30 in. Fireplace Log Grate, Heavy Duty Solid Steel Firewood Burning Rack 4/5" Bar Fire Grates
- No Assembly Required: Fireplace log grate measures 30” (Width) x 15.55” (Depth) x 7.68” (Height) with a 4” leg. You won’t have to assembly it as it comes ready to be used. It can be used for both outdoor and indoor fireplaces.
- Heavy Duty Steel Construction: These 8 steel bars firewood grate is made from 4/5” square solid steel rods. Also, there are four strong legs. Which will be able to withstand the high temperature and thus prevent sagging, even if the firewood is heavier.
- Improve Airflow: This grate will lift the firewood off the chimney floor allowing air to better circulate, while providing a more robust fire.
- Sturdy Material: Fireplace grates for logs is crafted with heavy-duty steel for long-lasting use. Wood burning fireplace grates easily to hold wood, coal burning securely. These grates are durable and won't warp.
- Warranty: Hykolity’s fire grate is guaranteed for 1 year. We aim for quality followed up with quality customer service directly provided by the manufacturer. We offer free-exchange for any quality problems within the warranty.
Amagabeli Black Wrought Iron Fireplace Log Grate 30 inch Wide Heavy Duty Solid Steel Indoor Chimney Hearth 3/4" Bar Fire Grates for Outdoor Kindling Tools Pit Wood Stove Firewood Burning Rack Holder
- DAILY BURNING: Fireplace log grate decorative measures 30in long x 15in wide x 7.5in high, liberty foundry fireplace grate clears 4in under wrought iron crossbar. lift the firewood off the chimney floor and hearth allowing air to better circulate. Thick steel structure fire place log holder rack will last a lifttime.
- SOLID STRUCTURE: 7 steel bars, V-shape rack hold fire starter and kindling close to fire white birch logs for easy lighting. Wide bars make it easier to hold wood, coal burning securely.
- MATERIAL: Fireplace grates for logs is crafted from thick 1in. x 3/4 in. solid steel bar rods. It is sturdy, heavy duty and durable, decorative for outside wood burning fireplaces tools.
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: This sturdy, heavy duty fire place log grate suitable for both indoor decorative wood burning fire places and outdoor durable fire pit grate.
- CUSTOMER CARE: We are dedicated to provide premium products for you and offer impeccable customer care to you. Don’t wait any longer and just enjoy your ideal products today!
HY-C Liberty Foundry G27-4-BX Fire Grate, 27" W x 12.5" D x 7" H, Black
- Measures 27” (front) x 21” (back) x 13” (depth) with a 4” cast-on leg clearance
- Crafted with heavy-duty cast iron, Designed with long-term durability in mind equipping you with long-term performance - feel the difference of a Liberty Foundry grate right out of the box
- Provides maximum airflow under the fire to encourage efficient burning while conquering frustrations caused by poorly drafting chimneys
- Lifts wood off the firebox floor and securely holds it above ash build-up, allowing air to circulate freely and fan your flame
- Narrow Depth for use in Small Fireplaces and Franklin Stoves
Vestal 324ML Cast Iron Fireplace Grate, 24"
- For coal or wood
- One piece
- Cast iron
- Open ends
- 24" Front, 20-3/4" Back
Minuteman International Tapered Iron Fireplace Grate, 27-in x 14-in
- Black finish
- 27-inch front width
- 25-inch back width
- 7-Inch total depth
- Clears 3-inch under crossbar
Woodeze 36" Lifetime Fireplace Grate - Extra Heavy-Duty
- Made of 1" wide steel bars that create durable support for holding your wood and coals.
- This heavy-duty grate has a lifetime guarantee by the factory not to burn out.
- Grate dimensions: 36" Front x 32" Back x 17" Depth. Weight: 39 lbs.
SteelFreak Heavy Duty Steel Fireplace Grate - Made in The USA (30 Inch)
- 30 inches wide
- 14 inches deep
- Heavy duty all-steel construction
- Wider in front than in back to better fit the majority of fireplaces, which are tapered
- SteelFreak grates are Proudly Made in the USA
Best Choice Products 21-inch 2-in-1 Solid Steel Heavy Duty Fireplace Grate Firewood Log Burning Rack for Indoor Outdoor Chimney Hearth, Wood Stove w/Ash Catcher Tray
- RAISED FOR AIRFLOW: Keeps firewood lifted from the chimney floor for improved airflow and visual appeal; also designed with 7 steel bars that have a V shape to help keep wood secure
- ASH TRAY INCLUDED: Maintain cleanliness in your fireplace and surrounding areas, as the included tray collects ashes from burning wood. Built-in handles let you easily carry the tray and dump ashes.
- COMPACT DESIGN: Space-saving composition makes this grate a perfect fit for nearly any indoor fireplace or outdoor fire pit, so you can light a warm flame in the living room or on the patio
- BUILT TO LAST: Heavy-duty, solid steel construction resists normal wear and high temperatures, with extra thick bars that make it easier to hold wood
- EASY ASSEMBLY: With minimal assembly required, the quick building process lets you put the rack together and begin burning firewood in no time; OVERALL DIMENSIONS (log rack + ash pan): 24"(L) x 16"(W) x 9"(H); Weight Capacity: 175 lbs.
Fireplace Log Grate 23 inch - 6 Bar Fire Grates - Heavy Duty 3/4â€ Wide Solid Steel - For Indoor Chimney Hearth Outdoor Fire Place Kindling Tool Pit Wrought Iron Wood Stove Firewood Burning Rack Holder
- 🔥SUPERIOR CIRCULATION, WARM LONGER: This 23 inch wrought iron firewood log burning grates is crafted from thick and solid 3/4 inch square bar steel. Superior metal wood rack allows the air to circulate around the logs, allow you to light your fireplace easily at bottom of wood. No more burning your hands or using fire starters. Overall Dimension: 23"L*14.25"W*8.5"H
- 🔥THICK STEEL, SOLID CONSTRUCTION: Made from durable 6 thick 3/4" hexagonal steel bars, our V-shape fire wood rack hold fire logs and kindling close to fire white birch logs for easy lighting. The enhanced surfaces of wide bars wood burning fireplace make it easier to hold wood and burn coal securely. The four enhanced stability legs prevent collapsing due to heat and the weight of the firewood.
- 🔥HIGH CLEARANCE, EASY CLEANING: Our fireplace log grate comes with high clearance under wrought iron crossbar. Lift the firewood off the chimney floor and hearth allowing air to better circulate. Our electro-forging process produces a well-fabricated grate that is made to last. Longer lasting fire for better warming while minimizing smoke, convenient for ashes cleaning.
- 🔥MULTI-PURPOSES, NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: This sturdy, heavy duty fire place log grate suitable for both indoor decorative wood burning fire places and outdoor durable fire pit grate. It is convenient to bring it to backyards, patios, deck, mantel fireplace, chimney or anywhere a wood burning fireplace is needed.
- 🔥SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are committed to delivery high quality fireplace accessories to our customers. Our fireplace heavy duty weight bar grates comes with 4 months warranty, made to last and will hold up in the hottest of fires.
Pleasant Hearth - 3/4" Premium Solid Steel Fireplace Grates, Black, 24-Inch
- 6 bars
- Heavy duty steel construction with 3/4" solid bars
- Lifts firewood off the chimney floor allowing air to circulate
- Design to safely contain firewood, ideal for most wood burning fireplaces
- Heat resistant black finish
14 More Questions Answered
We are often asked by customers why their fire grate has bent, warped or even melted. The quick answer is "your grate is getting too hot to the point where the cast iron is starting to melt". ... When cooler air is not drawing from under the grate this creates a gradual increase in temperature until the fire grate fails.
Position the grate in the center of the fireplace so that the long side faces the opening. You should have about 3 inches around the grate on all sides.
GRATE. A grate sits inside the fire pit and holds the wood logs. Grates keep the logs elevated while ash falls through to the bottom, maintaining constant air flow. Not all wood burning fire pits use grates, but if one is available for your fire pit, it can be a very useful tool to keep the fire burning much longer.
Burn seasoned firewood. ... Open the damper as wide as possible to increase the amount of air to the fire. ... Clean your chimney once a year. ... Replace the screen in front of the fireplace with tempered glass doors, and keep the doors closed while a fire is burning. ... Install a fireplace insert.
The company says that no grate is the greatest way to go, adding that a grate induces inefficiency, which results in higher wood consumption. Reason: more air gets to the burning wood. The fireplace expert goes on: ''Begin with about one inch of ashes on the fireplace floor. Build up the fire directly on the ash bed.
Firebox Dimensions and Chimney Heights
Fireplace Opening Width24″36″
|Rear Firebox Width||11″||23″|
|Rear Firebox Wall Vertical Height||14″||14″|
|Nominal Flue Size||8×12||12×12|
An ideal fireplace opening would be no more than ten times the cross sectional area of the chimney flue. For example if the inside dimensions of the flue are 10 x 10 equalling 100 square inches, then the fireplace opening should not exceed 10 times this or 1000 square inches.
Starting a Fire without a Grate. Put two large logs — the bigger the better — in parallel about 15 inches (38.1 cm) apart. Make sure they're perpendicular to the pane of the closed glass doors, or fireplace opening. These large logs will be the bed of the fire and contain the embers to feed it.
Position the grate in the center of the fireplace so that the long side faces the opening. You should have about 3 inches around the grate on all sides....How do you start a fire in a fireplace without smoke?Use the right firewood. ... Open the damper.Avoid fires on windy days.Build a top down fire.Call a chimney sweep.
Your fireplace probably has a damper. ... And while older wood-burning fireplaces can function safely without a damper (gas fireplaces cannot), a chimney without a damper is just a gaping hole in the roof of your house. It's a gateway for frigid air to enter and for heated air to escape in the winter.
Food would stick to rebar. Not really a problem. What I do is in spring and again if it's going to be a while between cooks is put a thin coat of Crisco (the solid stuff) all over it and cure it for an hour or more at 250*. This takes care of any chance of rust (which is high) and sticking.
Wood is the most common example of this. Unlike ice or chocolate, wood cannot melt because the combustion temperature is lower than the melting point; a fire would start before the material could change phase to “liquid” wood.
You may use a combination of brush and spray paint as well. ... Also, many fireplace paints are flammable when in liquid form, so don't paint around an open flame. Spray the grate lightly, using several coats of paint rather than one heavy application.
A fire grate, register grate or insert is framework used to hold the fuel and contain the fire. Very often these pieces are made of cast iron but can also be constructed from wrought iron, have applied brass, copper or steel decoration.