Minerals that are meant to be mixed with or added to a feed ration should not be fed free choice. Some goats may eat too much and end up with selenium toxicity. Symptoms occur suddenly when the selenium level gets too high and it is usually fatal. Mineral mixes for sheep do not contain copper that goats require.
But, how do you give goats loose minerals?
Goat minerals should be in a mineral feeder attached to the wall. It should be high enough so that the goats can't poop in it.
Again, how much minerals do goats need? As a rule of thumb for Sweetlix supplement products, adult goats should consume the free choice loose mineral supplements at an average of 0.5 oz per head per day (about 1 lb per goat per month) and should consume the 20% All Natural Goat Block at an average of 2-4 oz.
Otherwise, what minerals do pregnant goats need?
Normal feeding at this stage should consist of pasture, hay (save your best hay for early lactation), and free choice goat mineral containing 16% calcium and 8 % phosphorus (it's important to maintain the calcium to phosphorus ratio at 2:1 to make sure they're getting enough calcium).
Do goats need salt or mineral blocks?
Goats prefer minerals with salt; if you have to get a salt-free mineral, supplement it with a salt block. Never buy a so-called “goat/sheep mineral” because it doesn't have enough copper for a goat's needs. ... With good hay and an adequate mineral block, your goats get by just fine.
Manna Pro Goat Mineral | Made with Viatimins & Minerals to Support Growth | 8 Pounds
- FORTIFIED: Manna Pro Goat Mineral is fortified with minerals and vitamins to support sound growth, reproduction, and show appearance. Can be fed to all classes of goats.
- AMMONIUM CHLORIDE: Goat Mineral contains ammonium chloride to help prevent the occurrence of urinary calculi
- ABSORPTION: Goat Mineral contains chelated minerals help ensure absorption and utilization
- MICROBIAL BLEND: Exclusive blend to support digestion
- LOOSE MINERAL FORM: Can be fed free choice
New Country Organics Goat Mineral,50 Lb Bag
- Kelp Based Mineral High in Copper Boosts Animal Performance
- Certified Organic Healthy Mineral For Goats
- 2:1 Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio for Balanced Nutrition
- One Third Nutrient Dense Kelp To Support Hormone Balance, Lactation and Gestation
Purina | Goat Mineral Supplement for All Types and Lifestages | 25 Pound (25 lb) Bag
- Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin D - Supports proper development of bones and optimal milk production
- Coarse particle - Minimal waste and dust
- Copper and zinc - Vibrant skin
- Potassium, sodium, sulfur, Iron, cobalt, iodine and manganese - For overall good health
- Vitamin A, Vitamin E and selenium- Antioxidants that help muscle development, support reproduction and vibrant eyes
REDMOND Goat Mineral Supplement Mix, Unrefined Salt (5 LB)
- MINERALS – 63 naturally occurring trace minerals, for improved absorption and utilization
- FORMULA – Completely natural ancient mineral sea salt, fortified with a formulated trace mineral package with added copper and vitamins A, D and E
- FILLER FREE– No fillers - 100% minerals, vitamins and ancient mineral sea salt. Free of chemical processing
- TESTED – Goats love the taste. Great for all goat breeds. Try it in your herd: put any salt or mineral next to Redmond’s Goat Mineral Mix and see which one your animals choose
- FLAVOR – No artificial flavoring. Provides needed minerals, vitamins and electrolytes. Promotes proper digestive function
Evolved Habitats 94010 Billy Goat Mineral Supplement Treat Block - Berry Bush - 4 lbs.
- Model number: Evolved Habitats 94010 Billy Goat Minera
- Country of Origin: United States
- No batteries required
- Brand name: The Evolved Company
TruCare 4 Top-Dress Trace Mineral Blend for Livestock: Beef Cattle, Dairy Cattle, Deer, Elk, Goats (Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Cobalt)
- Essential Bioavailable Trace Minerals for the Most Prized Animals in Your Care
- A Prize Blend of Organic, Essential Trace Minerals Developed to Improve Livestock Nutrition
- Benefits: Health & Wellbeing, Skin & Coat, Hoof Health, Digestive Support, Reproductive Performance, Bone & Joint Health
- One (1) 35-Ounce Pouch of Top-dress Trace Mineral Blend Including: Zinc, Manganese, Copper, & Cobalt
- Formulated for: Beef/Dairy Cattle, Deer/Elk, Goats (Warning: Contains copper, do not feed to sheep)
Little Giant Animal Mineral Feeder 3.5 Quart Mineral Feeder (Item No. MF35BLACK)
- TWO COMPARTMENT DESIGN - This mineral feeder is able to dispense feed, minerals, vitamins, supplements, or liquids from two compartments.
- TOUGH PLASTIC DESIGN - The livestock mineral feeder is built with a tough DuraFlex plastic that is crack/shatter and UV damage resistant.
- WALL MOUNT CAPABLE - The mineral feeder mounts to wall or fence with three lag screws (not included).
- CAN BE USED AS A FEEDER - This mineral feeder can be used as a standalone feeder without additional supplements or vitamins.
- TOTAL CAPACITY - The vitamin feeder can hold a total capacity 3.5 quarts wet or 3 quarts dry.
TruCare Z/M Top-Dress Trace Mineral Blend for Multi-Species: Pigs, Sheep, Llamas, Rabbits, Poultry (Zinc, Manganese)
- Essential Bioavailable Trace Minerals for the Most Prized Animals in Your Care
- A Prize Blend of Organic, Essential Trace Minerals Developed to Improve Animal Nutrition
- Benefits: Health & Wellbeing, Skin & Coat, Paw/Claw/Hoof Health, Digestive Support, Reproductive Performance, Bone & Joint Health
- One (1) 35-Ounce Pouch of Top-dress Trace Mineral Blend Including: Zinc & Manganese
- Formulated for: Pigs, Sheep, Llamas, Rabbits, Poultry
Fortiflex Mineral Feeder for Small Animals, 2-Compartment of 1-3/4-Quart, Black
- Flanges on top and bottom make for a sturdy installation
- Useful as a small parts pin
- Exclusive Fortally-Epdm Rubber HDPE blend construction
Fortiflex Small Plastic Goat Mineral Feeder MF-2 with Fasteners
- Fortiflex MF-2 Mineral Feeder - 2 1.75 qt bins; Use to Dispense feed, minerals, vitamins, supplements, salt, oyster shells or liquids
- Easily mounts to wooden fence or wall with 3 WOOD SCREWS INCLUDED
- Livestock loose mineral and salt feeder suitable for horses, cows, pigs, goats, sheep, chickens and turkeys
- Treat holder for chickens or use as mineral and oyster shell feeder for chickens
- 100% Made in the USA Durable Farm Tough Fortiflex Plastic with Exclusive Fortally-Epdm Rubber HDPE Blend Construction - 1 Year Warranty
6 More Questions Answered
Goats are not sensitive to copper, whereas in sheep even 20 ppm of copper can be very toxic. Selenium (0.1-3 ppm) is another mineral required for goats. Most of the soils in Manitoba are deficient in selenium, and forages from those soils may need selenium supplementation in the form of mineral supplements.
SWEETLIX goat supplement products help goats attain maximum performance by providing a complete vitamin and trace mineral package designed especially for goats. These products will deliver 100% of the daily trace mineral needs of goats, including copper, selenium and zinc, when fed according to label directions.
DuMOR Goat Block is a high-density block that provides your livestock with around-the-clock supplementation of essential nutrients. Designed to help improve the performance of goats, this premium blend of minerals offers the perfect balance of critical vitamins and a taste that will keep your animals licking.
You Should Only Feed Loose Goat Minerals Goats are unlike other livestock in that they do not do well with a block mineral. Cow's have a very rough tongue and can easily get all they need from a mineral block. But goats' tongues are actually pretty soft, and they can't lick enough of a block to get what they need.
But, just like other animals, goats shouldn't consume things like garlic, onion, chocolate or any source of caffeine, to name a few. Although most goats wouldn't eat leftover meat scraps, they shouldn't be offered them either. Citrus fruits should also be avoided, as they can really upset the rumen.
Baking soda can be a useful addition to your goat's diet. It can aid in digestion issues and help to prevent bloat, a sometimes deadly condition caused by overeating or eating the wrong food. Goats are notorious escape artists and can be extremely cunning.