Rod action: You'll find some strong, and differing, opinions about the best rod action for nymphing. I believe the best nymph rods should have a medium action or even medium/slow action, and my reason is ease of casting with fewer leader tangles when using multiple flies, indicator, split shot, etc.
At the very least, what is the best fly rod for the money?
Best Fly Rods of 2019
- Sage X Fly Rod ($899) Action: Fast. ...
- R.L. Winston PURE ($850) Action: Medium. ...
- Orvis Clearwater Outfit ($311) Action: Medium-Fast. ...
- Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) BVK ($250) Action: Fast. ...
- Scott Radian Fly Rod ($795) Action: Fast. ...
- Echo Echo3 ($350) Action: Medium-Fast. ...
- G. Loomis NRX Lite Presentation ($755) ...
- Orvis Helios 3F ($849)
In overall, what is a 9wt fly rod used for? A 9wt allows the angler to present smaller flies in shallow water, but it also allows the angler to fish heavy lines and larger flies. As is typical when taking the middle ground, a 9wt doesn't cater to either technique superbly, but it allows anglers to do both well. A 9wt is also lighter than a 10wt.
Come what may, what is the best fly rod length?
If you want to know more about fly rod action, read the How to Select a Fly Rod Guide. Rod length, for trout fishing, should be 8.5 to 9 feet in length. Beginners will not want to go any longer, and only should go shorter if the majority of their fishing will be for smaller fish, such as panfish.
Can you Euro nymph with a 9 foot rod?
One of the first things people ask here at the shop when thinking about getting into Euro Nymphing is “Can't I just use my 9 ft 5 Weight?”. The short answer to that question is yes. You could pretty much use any trout rod to Euro nymph.
Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods
- Fast action
- Rod length: 10'
- Graphite blank
Orvis Clearwater 3-Weight 10' Fly Rod
- The micro-Spey has its own action for swinging and mending smaller trout streamers and wets.
- The two shortest trout rods have a slower action designed for short casts as compared to more conventional models.
- The basic saltwater models have a faster action designed for bigger flies, bigger fish, and windy conditions.
- The new Clearwaters improved the rod blank materials using a blend of standard, intermediate, and high modulus graphite depending on the rod model.
- The rods have between 10 and 15% improved strength, depending on the exact rod model.
M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch 4 in 1 Farglory Fly Fishing Rod 4wt 9â€™6â€™â€™-11â€™ 4-6 sec Czech Nymph Rod
- Designed perfect as a All-Purpose nymphing rod that offerings flexibility according to the river size. Especially for the wild river with a narrower water in the upper part and wider water in lower part.
- The 4in1 and 2in1 concept fly rod expands the use of a fly rod very much. Combined two methods fly fishing in one --Dry fly fishing in the shorter version and Nymphing fly fishing in the longer version. The variable fly rod can cover both large rivers and small streams in various regions
- You can use the four sections of this fast-action rod as a 9 ft rod for a large range of different fishing conditions
- You can add the two extension parts to make the medium-fast action rod a full 11 inch for greater line control on the water, similar to Czech nymphing. To lengthen drifts and keep you in the zone, more line can be pulled off the water when mending with the longest length
- ONE-YEAR-WARRANTY and LifeTime Repairing Warranty. Maxcatch as a 16 years fly rod factory, offer “No Hassle” warranty for all our rods for one year. If you are not 100% satisfied with our rod, you can return it in any time. And we also offer lifetime repairing for All Maxcatch rods
TFO 3 wt. 9'-13'6" 6 pc. Drift Rod w/Case
- TFO's most innovative and versatile fly rod ever designed
- Bridges the gap between traditional Tenkara and fly rods with reels
- Converts in five lengths, from 9' to 12'3"
- Removable weighted fighting butt
- Case included
Cortland Competition Nymph Fly Rod (3WT 10.5FT)
- Built from high-modulus, ultrasensitive graphite blanks
- Weighted toward the butt to help maintain optimum angles without tiring your wrist.
- The matte black finish helps dampen vibration to prevent shock waves when presenting the fly.
- Black, single foot guides are oversized to eas leader knot transfers for fishing short distances.
- The handle is thin, with an ergonomic taper that allows an angler to touch a finger against the blank for strike detection.
M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Performance Nymph Fly Fishing Rod in 2/3/4wt: 10ft/11ft, IM10 Carbon, AAA Cork Handle, Cordura Rod Tube and Combo Set Available (2weight 10ft 4piece)
- ONE-YEAR-WARRANTY and LifeTime Repairing Warranty - MAXCATCH as a 13 years fishing rod factory, offer “No Hassle” warranty for all our rods for one year. If you are not 100% satisfied with our rod, you can return it in any time. And we also offer lifetime repairing for Maxcatch rods.
- EXCLUSIVE MAXSPIRAL III BLANK TECHNOLOGY – Pure IM0 30T+40T carbon fiber. With mixed 5 layers of carbon including Reinforced Muscle carbon layer for Up to 30% improvement in presentation and 20% lighter in weight.
- DESIGNED for NYMPHING – a moderate fast action design rod blank designed specifically for nymphing techniques. Slim taper engineered to be a light ,balanced nymphing rod for the use of very fine tippets and small nymph. And also with the power to cast heavy anchor lures
- HIGH STANDARD SMOOTH GUIDES – MaxSelect Ceramic insert ring Stripping Guides and Ultra lightweight Hard Chromed stainless steel snake guides and Over-sized tip loop for smoothest longer casting.
- PURE CORK HANDLE and REEL SEAT – Pure AAA+ Contoured Cork Handle for comfortable grasping and also helpful for casting without tiring. High Density machined aluminum reel seat with two up-locking rings with Unique Peacock Blue Burled Wood Spacer for reliable fixing of the reel foot.
Redington Fly Fishing Rod 590-4 Classic Trout Rod W/Tube 4pc 5WT 9-Foot
- Fresh water, moderate action rod
- Dark clay brown blank with matching Rosewood reel seat insert
- Custom Machined reel seat components, Titanium oxide stripping guides
- Alignment dots for easy rod setup, divided brown Ballistic nylon rod tube
- Lifetime Warranty
Moonshine Rod Co. The Epiphany Series (Euro/Czech Nymph Style) Fly Fishing Rod 3wt 10'6" Blackout
- Anti-Glare, Blackout Blank with Raven & Concrete Bindings, Metallic Copper Accents & Alignment Dot
- High Modulus Graphite with TiSIC stripping guide, Lightwire SF and Snake guides
- AAAA Cork with Beautiful Tiger Eye Reelseat, Locking Ring with Delrin Bushing & Engraved Fighting Butt
- TWO Tips with 5 Compartment Embroidered Cordura Tube
- No Fault, Lifetime Warranty to the Original Owner with Proof of Purchase
FullMoon Outfitters Super Sale!!! FMO Lunar Series 11â€™ 3WT Euro Czech Nymph Fly Rod Mod. Fast Action 40T Carbon Fiber Trout + Free Tippet Rings!!!
- 40T carbon fiber 4-pc blank, AAA grade cork handle, cnc machined uplocking reel seat, stainless stripping guides, stainless snake guides, cordura rod tube, cloth rod sack
2019 Orvis Clearwater 103-4 Fly Rod Outfit : 10'0" 3wt
- Orvis Clearwater Fly Rod Outfit | 10'0" 3WT
9 More Questions Answered
With the aid of a D lead and about 1.2m of monofilament, you can
fish a fly
gear. ... Fishing flies
gear is dead easy! You
don't need fancy fishing gear
to go fly
fishing. You can
, in fact, use
just about any rod
and reel combination to fish a fly
, here's how you do
Many high-end rods can indeed feel and fish at whole new levels, but a big price is not always a guarantee of big performance. While you'll likely get a rod that uses some great materials and tech, sometimes rods that cost less can be just as good or even better.
You can get a fly rod, and it will probably cast, but you're probably not going to be happy with it. It was most likely not designed by a fly rod designer, it probably isn't going to cast very well, and it's probably going to fall apart. So, you want to spend $150 to $200 minimum to get a decent fly rod.
Your first rod should be versatile, but also appropriate for the water you'll fish most often. Virtually all fly fishing guides agree that a 9' rod for 5-weight line is the most versatile trout rod in the world. If you're likely to fish a mix of lakes, creeks and rivers, a 9' 5-weight is a no brainer first rod.
With 8wt line, you can work with the heavier flies, often weighted, that get down in the water column quickly such as buggers and Clousers. These rods have the power and stiffness to turn over heavier sinking line but still sensitive enough for more delicate presentation with lighter flies if that is what's needed.
Most pike flies will average 4-9 inches in length and are generally well suitable for an 8-weight rod. If you are planning to use larger flies than that you are better off going with a 9- or a 10-weight rod.
Selecting a Fly Rod
Rod WeightTypical LengthSpecies
|4 wt||8'-9'||Small-Large Trout|
|5 wt||8'6”-10'||Medium-Large Trout, Small Bass|
|6 wt||9'-10'||Medium-Large Trout, Small-Medium Bass/Warmwater|
|7 wt||9'-10'||Big Trout, Bull Trout, Steelhead, Bass, Light Saltwater|
A longer fly rod gives you more water (under the rod) to fish effectively. If you can reach out another 1ft and cover that small pocket of water in front of you while maintaining better control of your flies, you will be more successful.
A quality fishing rod can last for decades. I'm still regularly using a rod I bought in the late 1970's. I also have a rod that dates from the early 1960's that is still functional. Some fly anglers still use bamboo rods that are 60-70 years old.