Any way, do you need a filter for a planted tank?
Planted tanks do not require filters, however, it is more favorable to use a filter. It is more acceptable if the ratio of plants to fish is skewed highly in the plants favor. There are good reasons to include a filtration system on your planted tank.
At the very least, can I use a bigger filter for my aquarium? Can an aquarium filter be too big or too strong? Physical size isn't so much the issue here, although if it is too large, it may not fit on your tank. The answer to filters being too strong is yes. The generated flow of water causes more issues than lots of filtration.
In no way, what is the best filter for a 20 gallon tank?
Best Filters for 20 Gallon Fish TanksAqua Clear – HOB Filter. 10-30 gallons. ... GRECH CBG-800 Hang-On Back Filter. ... Fluval C Power Filter. ... Fluval Underwater Filter. ... MarineLand Magnum Polishing Internal Filter. ... Aqueon Quietflow Internal Power Filter. ... Fluval 106 External Filter. ... Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filter.
Are carbon filters bad for planted tanks?
Using carbon in a planted tank is fine. It does not take any of the fertilizers out of the water for the plants. It is not a necessary part of your tanks daily chemical filtration, in my opinion. It works well for removing medications from your tank if you ever need to use them for your fish.
Odyssea Clean 100 Surface Skimmer Aquarium Filter 450L Plant Internal
- Flow rate: 110 GPH
- Energy efficient 5W pump
- Skims surface build-up to improve water quality
- Great for freshwater planted aquariums
- Works with both freshwater and marine
AquaClear Fish Tank Filter, Aquarium Filter for 60- to 110-Gallon Aquariums, 110v, A620A1
- Aquarium filtration system that offers superior contact time with filter media and energy efficient pump lowers operating costs
- Quick and easy installation, we recommend that you clean aquarium filter every two weeks for maximum operation and efficiency
- Provides optimal mechanical, chemical, and biological filtrations
- Comes equipped with AquaClear Foam, Activated Carbon Filter and BioMax and Cycle Guard for superior water quality
- Filtration volume is up to 7 times larger than comparable fish tank filters
- Lifetime warranty; ideal for aquariums up to 110 gallons
Great Big Freshwater Aquarium Log Book: Huge Maintenance Journal for Fish Tanks
UPETTOOLS Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter, Ultra Quite Aquarium Air Pump Single Head Bio Sponge Fish Tank Foam Filter
- 【Multi-filtration Functions】Upettools sponge filter combines single scientific 7-layer ribbing shape sponge design, which can quickly established a bio-filter, improve purifying water quality, and the oxygen port can rotate 360 degrees without dead ends, keep your fish tank crystal clear and clean.
- 【Special Ceramic Bio Filter Media】Upettools aquarium sponge filters compatible with one container with ceramic bio filter media inside, which help to remove harmful substance and increase oxygen level in your tank, you can replace the filter media to enhance water quality.
- 【Removable Sponges 】 You can take down the sponge from the filter easily to clean or replace it. Sponge filters provide both mechanical and biological filtration, traps floating debris and protect your baby fish from being sucked up into the filter.
- 【Easy to Set Up】Simply install an airline into the unit and turn on the air pump, great way to clean and oxygenate your tanks. Don't use tap water to clean it, simply squeeze the sponges in tank water.
- 【Max Suit for 40 GAL Fish Tank】Compatible with 2 suction cups, can be installed anywhere and can be easily hidden on the back wall of the aquarium. Suitable for freshwater & saltwater and all kinds of ornamental fish breeding, breeding and fish formation, especially for colorful fairy, small fish,shrimp tank, betta tank etc.
Great Big Freshwater Aquarium Log Book: Huge Maintenance Journal for Fish Tanks - For Aquascape Hobbyists and Fishkeepers - Shrimp Aquarium Cover
LONDAFISH Turtle Filter Water Submersible Filter for Turtle Tank/Aquarium 600L/H Filtration Low Water Level Filter
- Ultra-low water level The water level can be adjusted according to the demand and the water level needs to be flooded.If you wan to search the replacement filter, you can search the ASIN number B07WZFJKXJ in amazon search bar.
- Waterfall type water circulation smooth flow of water Increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank. Mute design: create quite environment,safety energy saving and environment protection.
- Wide range of use:Suitable for aquatic habitat and Swamp type Lower water level tank and small aquarium filter stereoscopic landscape design of low-density feeding cylinders. Make your turtle live in comfortable environment.
- Promotion activity: When you order the turtle filter and the replacement filter sponge. You will save 5% on purchasing the replacement filter sponge.
- We have the 90 days replacement and the refund service. All the emails will be replied within 24 hours. We have lifetime technique support, please feel free to contact us for any quality problem. We will do our best to help you.
Aquarium Ion Exchange Water Softener for Hard Water Fish Planted Tank (300g) removes Calcium and Magnesium cations/Stable pH Level
- Exchanges cations with resin. It effectively removes calcium and magnesium cations.
- Softens water and maintains a stable pH level.
- Best water treatment for soft water fish like Discus, Neon, Dwarf cichlid, Betta... etc.
- Provides the ideal environment for plant ecology.
- The media is packaged in a net bag (as seen in the photograph).
AZOO Mignon Filter 150L - Aquarium Fish Water Plants Tank (Two Sets Replacement Pad) (150L (Two Sets Replacement Pad))
- Flow : 150 liter per hour ; suitable for aquarium below 50 liter in volume.
- Easy to maintain. Adjustable flow valve to adjust flow.
- Quick & easy cartridge changes.
- Reminding: This filter is not totally quiet.As all the power head may be, it will commonly make little noisy. It is important to fill the water up to the water line in order to prevent it breaking down. Please don't allow any air go into the pipe when you using it or it may be really noisy
- MADE IN TAIWAN
CNZ XY-2893 Air Driven 10 Layer Biochemical Bio Sponge Filter for Breeding Fry Betta Shrimp Discus Angelfish Nano Fish tank
- Easy-to use biological filter for tropical aquarium fish Aquarium filter sponge for efficient biological filtration
- Supplying the water much needed oxygen Most fit to external or top filter as prefiltration unit No deads spots in cylinder foam offers increased filtration
- Various types of installations are possible The sponge material is easy to clean Quiet operation
- Beneficial bacteria colonize sponge filter for waste breakdown, Recommend tank size: 20-40 gallons
- Dimension : 11.5-inch (with tube) , Sponge Height :5.5-inch ; Material : Sponge, Plastic
Seachem Flourite Black Clay Gravel - Stable Porous Natural Planted Aquarium Substrate 15.4 lbs
- GRAVEL: Seachem Flourite Black is a specially fracted stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium. Its appearance is best suited to planted aquaria, but may be used in any freshwater aquarium environment.
- AQUARIUM BED: Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary when using Seachem Flourite Black as this product is most effective when used alone as an integral substrate bed, but it may be mixed with other gravels.
- SET-UP: When adding water to the aquarium, fill slowly to avoid disturbing Flourite Black substrate bed. Place a bowl in the aquarium and add water directly to the bowl, allowing water to overflow softly on to the gravel bed. Initial cloudiness is normal, but to remove this simply use mechanical filtration
- COMPATIBLE: Flourite Black substrates will work fine with an under gravel filter and will not soften or decompose to an unsuitable state within your tank.Flourite substrates will work fine with an UGF
- SAFETY: Seachem Flourite Black is not chemically coated or treated, thus does not alter the pH of the water. Flourite Black is beneficial for the life of the aquarium and need not be replaced.
6 More Questions Answered
Are Sponge Filters Good for Planted Tanks? Sponge filtration is excellent for a planted tank. In fact, if you have a heavily planted tank, you probably do not want too strong of a water flow – just enough to move the water around so the plants move slightly is usually enough.
Just be careful to not go to deep and uproot the plants. You are not supposed to vacuum a planted tank. A fish tank with plants yes you may. You are not supposed to vacuum a planted tank.
In this shallow water, the movements of the fish will cause the water to circulate so it can pick up more oxygen from the water surface. The fish can survive under these shallow-water conditions for more than two days, maybe even a week or more, unless they are really crowded or not in full health to start with.
To summarize the information from the last section, live aquarium plants filter harmful substances from the tank water and convert carbon dioxide into oxygen. ... You can't add one or two plants to your freshwater aquarium and expect it to be an adequate replacement for your filter.
Don't Multiple Filters "Compete" on the Fish Tank? It is true that if you use more than one filter on your fish tank, neither of those filters will perform as efficiently as it would if it were the only filter on the aquarium. This is expected, but is not a problem.
If we are talking about freshwater biological filtration, there's no such thing as “too much filtration”. ... Too much current might stress out some fishes (not really a filtration problem per se) Size. You need enough space both within and without the tank to fit the filter(s), inputs, outputs, etc.