There are numerous choices for wood and synthetic decks. Rock salt or halite works by lowering the freezing temperature of water down to 15 degrees. Calcium chloride* is more effective; it interacts with ice and snow to create heat that melts ice down to 25 degrees below zero.
Not to mention, how do I get ice off my wood deck?
Best Methods to Remove Snow and Ice from Your DeckUse a broom. If snowfall is light enough, a broom is your best bet. ... Use a plastic, rubber-blade shovel. ... Leave a layer. ... Avoid rocks, gravel, and sand. ... Avoid ice melt with colorant. ... Never use salt. ... Prepare you deck before it snows.
Besides this, can ice melt be used on wood decks? Keep your deck maintained with a yearly application of sealer or as needed based on the product you are using, and the occasional rock salt or ice melt product will likely not cause severe damage to the deck.
At least, what deicer is safe for wood?
Magnesium chloride is a less harsh deicing salt and it's not thought to harm plants or pollute waterways. Other products marketed as safe for concrete, plants and animals are also suitable for using on a wooden deck.
How do I protect my deck from snow?
6 Ways To Protect Your Deck This WinterClean It Up. Similar to our roofing advice for the winter, you should clear away clutter on your deck. ... Scrub It Down. ... Remove Mold or Mildew Buildup. ... Apply Water Repellant Seal. ... Cover With a Tarp. ... Remove Snow.
Snow Joe AZ-25-EB Melt-2-Go Nature + Pet Friendly CMA Blended Ice Melter, 25-lb Bag
- PET FRIENDLY: Formulated from nature’s own ingredients, EB Ice Melt provides a greener solution to deicing that is safer for pets. Unlikely to irritate paws or cause rashes.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE: Leaves no slimy residue behind, making it safe to use on grass, turf, around trees and other vegetation. Protects surrounding hardscapes and softscapes when used as directed.
- SAFE TO HANDLE: When used as directed, EB Ice Melt will not dry out or irritate the skin and can be safely and easily dispensed without requiring the use of protective clothing. MELT EB is specially treated with an anti-caking agent to extend shelf-life and improve dispersion.
- FAST-ACTING IN FREEZING TEMPERATURES: Goes to work immediately upon contact with snow and ice to accelerate the deicing and melting process. Pre-treating surfaces will also prevent ice and snow from accumulating.
- ANTI-CORROSION FORMULA: Enhanced with CMA (calcium magnesium acetate), an environmentally benign deicing agent, EB Ice Melt delivers fast and effective results without damaging surfaces such as concrete or metals.
Just For Pets Snow & Ice Melter Safe for Pets & Paws Contains No Toxic Chlorides or Painful to The Paw Rock Salt, Safe for Dogs & Cats. Fast Acting and Works On Contact 9 lb. Shaker Jug
- ❄️NO CHLORIDES – NO MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, NO CALCIUM CHLORIDE & NO SODIUM CHLORIDE - Ingestion Of Certain Chlorides (salts) Can Cause Severe Gastrointestinal Signs As Well As Local Irritation From Dermal Skin And Paw Contact. There Is No Shortage Of Information Online About How Bad Chlorides Can Be To Pets. Just For Pets Snow & Ice Melter Is Chloride-Free
- ❄️NO SHARP ROCK SALT, SALT-FREE – Walking On Rock Salt Can Be Excruciating To Your Pets Feet. Sharp Rock Salt Granules Can Become Stuck & Lodged In Paws Causing Pain & Soreness With Every Step. Not Only Does Just For Pets Not Contain Rock Salt, Our Ice Melt Consists Of Soft Round Pellets That Are Easy On The Paws And Two Times The Coverage Of Rock Salt
- ❄️WORKS ON CONTACT TO CRUSH & MELT SNOW, ICE AND FROST - Powerful Pellets Instantly Generate Heat On Contact With Ice & Snow To Speed The Deicing And Melting Process. Safe at low temperatures (-15 degrees C). Pellet Design Is Compatible With Any Spreaders, Including Rotary Spreaders
- ❄️DID WE MENTION IT WAS SAFE? Safe For All Pets Paws, Skin and Eyes - No Chlorides, Salts Or Sharp Rock Salt. Safe For Children - No Harmful Chemicals. Safe For The Environment - No Harmful Chemicals. Will Not Chemically Attack Concrete or Asphalt. ALSO SAFE FOR USE ON: Sidewalks, Patios, Porches, Wood Decks, Lawns, Driveways, Roofs, Brick, Stone, Parking Lots. Will Not Harm Interior Flooring Or Rugs. Will Not Damage Bushes, Flower Beds, Grass, Shrubs, Trees
- ❄️OUR PRODUCT WORKS - 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE – Not Satisfied? We'll Refund Your Money, No Questions Asked. Call Or Email Us With Your Order ID And We’ll Take Care of The Rest
Branch Creek Entry Chloride-Free, Non-Toxic, Liquid Snow and Ice Melt Certified Safe for Pets, Plants, Floors, Concrete, Sidewalks, and Metal for Residential or Commercial Use (1 Gallon)
- Entry’s proprietary residue-free formulation eliminates the mess and expense of cleaning up ice melt materials inside of homes and buildings. Entry’s clear liquid formulation eliminates the abrasive affect that granular ice melts have on flooring surfaces. Entry’s neutral pH reduces the risk of damage to high value flooring surfaces such as hardwood, tile, granite and marble.
- 1 gallon of Entry will provide comparable coverage to 100 pounds of other ice melts.
- Entry’s chloride-free formulation is safer for pets, plants, shoes, metals, concrete and the planet.
- When used as directed Entry will melt snow and ice in less than 30 seconds and prevent refreeze to temperatures below O°F/-19°C.
- Entry has an unlimited shelf life.
HARRIS Safe Melt Pet Friendly Ice and Snow Melter, Fast Acting 100% Pure Magnesium Chloride Formula, 15lb with Scoop Included Inside Bucket
- Pet Safe - 100% Magnesium Chloride formula won't burn or irritate pets' paws and comes in a round pellet form with no jagged crystals
- Works Immediately - Deicer instantly melts ice on driveways, sidewalks, steps, balconies, patios, walkways, roadways and more
- Effective at Low Temps - Works at temperatures down to -13 degrees Fahrenheit
- Less Corrosive - Kinder to the environment than traditional rock salt ice melters and less corrosive to concrete than sodium chloride and calcium chloride
- OMRI Listed - Listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute for organic use
Snow Joe AZ-50-EB Melt-2-Go Nature + Pet Friendly CMA Blended Ice Melter, 50-lb Bag
- Anti-corrosion formula: enhanced with cma (calcium magnesium acetate), an Environmentally benign deicing agent, EB Ice melter delivers fast and effective results without damaging metal surfaces
- Fast acting: goes to work immediately upon contact with snow and Ice to accelerate the deicing and melting process. Pre-treating surfaces will also prevent ice and snow from accumulating
- Long lasting: time-relax formula stays on the surface area longer for added protection and better control of the freeze/thaw cycle
- Safer to handle: when used as directed, EB will not dry out or irritate the skin and can be safely and easily dispensed without requiring the use of protective clothing
- Eco-, pet-, and kid-friendly: formulated from nature own ingredients, provides a greener solution to deicing that is safer for pets, safer for children and safer for the environment. Eb leaves no slimy residue behind, making it safer to use on grass, turf, around trees and other vegetation
Snow Wax Snow and Ice Repellent Coating for Snowblowers, Shovels, Wheel Wells - 11oz Spray
- Repels snow and ice build up
- Dries in 30 minutes to a hard slippery and protective coat
- Impervious silicone layer protects all metals from corrosion and rust
- Contains NO hazardous ingredients
- Made in USA
Earth Friendly Products ECOS Ice Melt Magnesium Chloride Pellets Pet, Plant and Concrete Safe, 6.5 lbs. Jug (Pack of 4)
- Safe for pets and vegetation
- 100% natural, plant-based, non-toxic, biodegradable household cleaners
- Made in USA with renewable and cruelty-free ingredients
- Never tested on animals, and packaged in recyclable containers
- Safer, less irritating and more effective
Natural Rapport Pet Friendly Ice Melt - Calcium Chloride Free, Pet Safe Ice Melter, Rock Salt Alternative - Time Release Deicer Formula Lasts 3X Longer (10 lb)
- SAFER FOR PETS - Made in the USA. Our proprietary, eco-friendly formula is safer for your pets, children, and carpet and tile when little feet or paws track some in the house. The safe deicing formula is easier on a pet paw and works better on ice.
- WORKS FAST AND LAST 3X LONGER - Our fast-acting, "time release" formula lasts longer and helps prevent re-icing on your driveway, sidewalk or patio. The jug has up to 25% more ice melt than our competitors, so our 10 pound jug will last even longer.
- SAFER FOR CONCRETE, METAL, AND WOOD - ProtectRx, our proprietary, organic technology, reduces corrosion rates by up to 75% compared to regular ice melters and rock salt. It is safer for your vehicles, equipment, and other surfaces.
- LESS HARMFUL TO LAWNS AND GRASS - Safer for trees and other vegetation. Our non-hygroscopic ice melt is environmentally formulated with biodegradable soil supporting compounds, making it less harmful to plant life compared to competitors.
- NO NEED FOR A SHAKER BOTTLE - Our easy-to-apply cap allows you to use the perfect amount every time. Plus, the green colored crystals won't clump and help you see exactly how much you have applied. Simple and effective, it saves you time and money.
13 More Questions Answered
Here's how you can make your deck free of snow in extreme cold snowy weather:Corn Broom. Use a corn broom to clear snow off your deck. ... Hot Water. You may experience thick layer of ice on your deck in extreme winters. ... Chemicals. You can also use chemicals that melt the ice, just like hot water. ... Shovel. ... Snow Blower.
There is a myth out there that if you spray an iced windshield with a mixture of water and vinegar, the mixture will cause the ice to melt. While the mixture will not melt ice, it can help ice from forming in the first place if you spray your windshield with it the night before.
Use baking soda to melt the ice on slippery steps and walkways! ... Because baking soda is a kind of salt, it can lower the freezing point for ice, accelerating the melting process. Plus, it's less alkaline than calcium chloride, the salt commonly used for melting ice, which can corrode surfaces like bricks or concrete.
In a bucket, combine a half-gallon of hot water, about six drops of dish soap, and 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol. Once you pour the mixture onto your sidewalk or driveway, the snow and ice will begin to bubble up and melt. Just keep a shovel handy to scrape away any leftover pieces of ice.
Calcium chloride and magnesium chloride ice melts leave behind an oily residue that can damage urethane or wax finishes used on wood floors.
Salt does not damage composite decking under normal circumstances. In fact, some manufacturers, such as Trex, suggesting using rock-salt to melt ice on the decking. The salt has little drying effect on the decking. This makes composite decking especially convenient if you live near saltwater.
Safest Ice Melt for Concrete and Vegetation? Studies have found that ice melt formulas that combine solar salt and anti-corrosion agents are less damaging to concrete and vegetation when compared to Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride based ice melters.
Saltwater does also have the tendency to damage wood that is in its constant, direct contact, specifically boat docks and decks overhanging the water. The wood wicks saltwater into the structure, and similarly once dried, salt crystals form in the timber cells and push the fibres apart.
Here are the best snow and ice melters:
- Best overall: Green Gobbler 96% Pure Calcium Chloride Snow & Ice Melt Pellets.
- Best with color: Blue Heat Snow and Ice Melter.
- Best on a budget: Snow Joe Professional Strength Calcium Chloride Pellets.
- Best for long-lasting coverage: Pellets of Fire Snow & Ice Melter.
In a bucket, combine a half-gallon of hot water, about six drops of dish soap, and ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol. Once you pour the homemade ice melt mixture onto your sidewalk or driveway, the snow and ice will begin to bubble up and melt. Just keep a shovel handy to scrape away any leftover pieces of ice.
No matter how well you've prepared your deck, your deck can still suffer underneath layers of snow and ice all winter. Keep your wood looking great by covering the deck with a tarp in harsh winter months. This covering provides an added barrier between the wood and moisture.
One simple strategy for protecting your deck during the winter is to cover it with a non-porous, heavy tarp — preferably the type of tarp that is used to cover and protect a pool in the winter. A tarp will prevent moisture and snow from seeping into the wood and reduce the possibility of warping over time.
You do not have to shovel the snow off your deck until the snow depth is 3 feet or more. As long as you can visibly see the rail tops, it's safe to say you do not have to shovel the snow. ... As long as you have a waterproof deck (vinyl or wood deck), you do not have to worry about snow damaging your deck.