Speed: Most tuna fishermen troll between 4.5 knots and 7.5 knots. The slower speeds are usually used when you are trying to let heavy lures run deeper in the water column or when targeting tuna in cold water.
From everywhere, what are the best lures for tuna?
Skirted lures, like Bullets, Christmas Trees and Jet Heads, which are heavy and have minimal action, are the most productive when trolling fast. Lures in the 15 to 25cm range will get the most bites, because tuna rarely feed on big prey.
Accordingly, how fast do you troll for bluefin tuna? 4.5 to 5 knots
In addition to that, what is the best fishing line for bluefin tuna?
The best Tuna fishing line is Power Pro Spectra Fiber braided fishing line. This is the top selling braided line for tuna and other big game fish. It's simply the strongest and most durable line that will stand up to giant Bluefin Tuna. Don't even think of using mono line.
Is it hard to catch bluefin tuna?
Bluefin fishing takes strength, endurance, and of course, patience, but there's nothing quite like landing one of these amazing fish. ... In the winter, bluefin fishing gets more difficult, with the fish hunkering down in depths that make landing them difficult. 2. Bluefin tuna have great eyesight and are easily spooked.
Joe Shute Lures 3 Ounce Bluefin Series Offshore Trolling Lure (Red/White)
- Joe Shute Lures 3oz head is ideal for Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi, and Billfish
- Tracks straight and true
- Durable powdercoating, vibrant hair, and flashy Mylar for excellent bait presentation
- Designed to be rigged with a Ballyhoo, strip, or soft plastic
- 100% made in the USA
Lobo Lures #200-GG Bluefin Slayer Pelagic Magic Daisy Chain Marlin & Tuna Trolling Lure Urethane USA Made
- Lobo Lures #200-GG Bluefin Slayer Pelagic Magic Daisy Chain Marlin & Tuna Trolling Lure Urethane USA Made
- 3-9" Green UV Mack Skipjack Lures, 5" Glow Bird and a 12" Pelagic Magic. Our lures are manufactured here in the USA using the highest grade urethanes on the market. This means a durable head that wont crack when hitting the deck!
- Rigged with 400lb leader and 10/0 Cable rigged hook. Includes Lure Storage Bag
- Killer on tuna and Mahi! Sailfish cant get enough of them!
- Made in the USA
3pcs 8" Flying Fish Unrigged Blue Pearl Yummy Flyer Mahi Tuna Wahoo Soft Lures with 3D Eye
- Total is 3 pieces. Size: 8 inch.
- The Flying Fish is just a great all around fun lure to slow troll or drop from the kite.
- With a rectangular hole on lure's belly makes it easier to hook and hide fishhook.
- Using environmentally-friendly PVC material, reusable and long-term preserved.
- 3D eyes make it a powerful catching tool. You can use as teasers in the spread and also can rig with stinger for Bluefin Tuna and kites. Targets Wahoo, Tuna and Mahi Mahi.
Goture Lead Head Jigs Soft Fishing Lures with Hook Sinking Swimbaits for Saltwater and Freshwater (Pack of 5)
- SOFT FISHING LURE. Made of PVC material, environmental protection and soft to touch
- PARAMETERS: Length: 4”; weight(per each): 0.77oz; target diving depth: all water depth
- ”S” SWIMMING ACTION. 3D eyes and realistic swimming action make it a powerful tool for fishing anglers
- FEATURES. Soft bodies with internal lead heads and soft tails for longer casting and black nickle barbed hook for higher hookup ratio
- COLORFUL SOFT LURES. Five color are available to choose. Vivid colors will bring amazing response and more attractive to fishing targets
kmucutie Set of 6 pcs 9 inch Trolling Skirt Lures Marlin Tuna Dolphin Mahi Durado Wahoo . Included 9 inch Big Game Fishing Lures and Free Mesh Bag
- Size: 9inch (23cm) 6 popular colors.
- Hook: 9/0 stainless steel hooks, strong, sharp and anticorrosive.
- Material: Acrylic head(lead weight inside)+ quality PVC skirts.
- Line:1.5mm dia. pro rigged with 100lb-300lb,length around 52inch. Superior construction enables you to fight the largest fish around. Strong swivel connects line directly to the lure, allowing perfect rotation.
- Target Species: Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, Mackeral, Kingfish, Ahi, Dolphinfish, Barracuda, Wahoo and any game fish that swims!
kmucutie 6.5inch 6pieces Rigged Trolling Lure Marlin Tuna Mahi Dolphin Durado Wahoo Octopus Skirted Fishing Lure
Vivona - Deep-sea Diving Trolling Fishing Lure Commercial K-Type Fishing Artificial Bait For Bluefin Tuna - (Size: #001)
- Size: #001
- Package Includes: 1 x Trolling Board
- - Suitable for trolling in upper and middle depths, such as migratory fish and Bluefin Tuna in the upper and the middle stratum.
- - The board dives with wiggling and wobbling actions, giving a lifelike action.
- - When a fish bites the lure, the board will overturn and go up.
Rapala X-Rap Magnum 30 Fishing lure, 6.25-Inch, Purple Mackerel
- The massive diving-lip takes the X-Rap Magnum deep.
- Running Depth: 15-30 ft
- Hand tuned and tank tested
- Like all Rapala Lures, these run perfect right out of the box
- These bad boys can be run up to 13 knots for big game fish worldwide.
KUNSILANE Fishing Trolling Lures Saltwater Tuna Feathers Rig Teasers Squid Lures, Offshore Fishing Bullet Head 5PCS 6 Inch
- SPECIES:These are 6Inch Trolling Feather Hard Lures. Rigged with 100LB Leader and 6/0 Hook.Weight:approx.1.55oz/pc.
- MATERIAL:Made of 3D EYES finest feathers with high quality head and stainless steel hooks.
- COLOUR:Variety of bright colours and flashtape wings for reflection.Come is BLUE/WHITE,RED/WHITE,GREEN/BLANK,PURPLE,YELLOW/RED/GREEN.
- USED:May be used to catch Tuna,Dorado,Wahoo,King,Sails,Yellowtail,Blues,Queen Mackerel and Marlin. Also be available in both freshwater and saltwater.
- FEATURE:Fit by both commercial and recreational fishermen.Feather trolling lures are very popular way to catch tuan.
Goture Speed Jigs Saltwater Lures Tuna Jigs Grouper,Dogtooth,Bass Salmon Lures Lead Vertical Jigs Jigging Lures Deep Sea Fishing Lures 3.53oz/100g, 3 Pack
- 🐟【Saltwater Jigs】: Goture lead vertical Jigs with weight is 3.53oz/100g, body length 6.9in/17.6cm. 1 pieces one pack, 3 Packs. The hook is made of corrosion-resistant carbon steel with barbs on the hook. Thickened stainless-steel wire effectively withstand the toughest condition.
- 🐟【Luminous Effect】: The saltwater jigs with fluorescent design on the back, which will glow in the dark, great for dark water and low-light conditions, the luminous finish better excites visual predators.
- 🐟【7-Layer Coating Process】: Multi-layer coating with UV reactive to completely prevent peeling and give optimal light refraction, which is proven to pull fish in from a distance.
- 🐟【Good Performance】: Full Lead Stream-line Body, With smooth and rapid diving action, easy to work. Strategic and balanced all-in-one design for casual, speed, slow jigging presentation underwater.
- 🐟【Applicable Environment】: Widely used in saltwater, brilliant for a very broad range of fish species, such as trout, tunas, blue fin, yellow fin, kingfish, cobia, amberjacks, jacks, bonito, snappers, groupers, etc.
8 More Questions Answered
30 pound test is a good line size with many using 40 pound. There are occasions when giant tuna show up and even the heavier set up is not enough. But for tuna up to 100 pounds 40 pound test can do the job. With this second set up you will want a stouter rod and greater line capacity.
445-Pound Yellowfin Tuna / Hurricane Bank (San Diego) John Petruescu rightfully claims the record of the largest yellowfin ever caught by an angler on rod and reel. He was fishing on the San Diego long-range boat Excel when the fish hit at Hurricane Bank. Petruescu used a live skipjack tuna to land the 445-pounder.
around 12 knots
But fishing at night remains the best time to hook and land the biggest tuna. Why? In large part, the darkness permits anglers to use optimal (heavy enough) gear to get the job done without spooking wary tuna.
6 Ways to Troll Slow with Your BoatShut Down Your Boat's Engine(s) If your boat has multiple outboards, shutting down one or more engines will allow you to drop speed. ... Shifting Engines Out of Gear. ... Using Drift Socks and Trolling Bags. ... Benefits of an Auxiliary Outboard Engine. ... Using an Electric Motor. ... Outboard Engines with Troll Mode.
20 to 30 feet
The lure – Lures are what get the tuna to bite, so using lures that are attractive and enticing is important. Tuna are generally about 60-100 feet below the boat, so lures that dive down will catch their attention more easily. Lures can also be hooked onto a spreader to entice the tuna to bite.
The 9 Best Trolling Lures for 2020
- Eat My Tackle Bullet Head Fishing Lure.
- MagBay High-Speed Wahoo Lures.
- Nomad Design DTX Minnow.
- Rapala X-Rap Magnum Fishing Lures.
- Luhr-Jensen Ford Fender Lake Trolls.
- Hot Spot Apex Salmon Killer.
- Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerk.
- Bay State Tackle Striped Bass Trolling Tube.