On top of this, where is the best place to put weights on a Pinewood Derby car?
PUT MOST OF THE WEIGHT IN THE BACK Science says the heaviest part of your car should be about 1 inch in front of the rear axle. The idea is that the farther back the weight is, the more potential energy you have because your center of mass is higher up on the track.
Hereof, what makes a Pinewood Derby car go faster? Aerodynamics have little effect in such a short race, but weight does and putting the weight at the back of the car will make your car faster on the flat of the track. Tungsten weights, in most cases, are best because of their high density. Lube the car at the body/wheel friction point.
On top of everything, should you bake your Pinewood Derby car?
Should I bake the pinewood derby block? The short answer is no, do not bake the block. The idea behind baking the block is to remove moisture which will make the block lighter. You can then add more weight to the back of the car.
What is the best shape for a Pinewood Derby car?
Seven Steps for Making the Fastest Pinewood Derby Car
- Max out your Pinewood Derby car's weight at 5 ounces and make sure the heaviest part is about 1 inch in front of the rear axle. ...
- Use lightweight wheels. ...
- Use bent polished axles. ...
Maximum Velocity Pine Derby Car Tool | Derby Car Center of Gravity Stand | Accurately & Easily Measure COG for Pinewood Car Kits
- FORGET THE PENCIL & RULER - Use our Center Of Gravity (COG) Stand to accurately measure and adjust the balance point of your pinewood car.
- VALUABLE DERBY CAR TOOL - The built in ruler simplifies the process of finding the exact balance point of your derby car. This is a key building component of your pinewood car build.
- QUICK ASSEMBLY - Snap in a few parts and you are ready to find the center of gravity for your derby car. Easy to follow instructions included.
- 100 % MADE IN THE USA
- HERE TO HELP - Maximum Velocity has been serving the Pine Derby community for 20 years. All our products are tested and proven to help you reach Maximum Velocity!
Pinewood Pro Pine Derby Complete Car Kit with PRO Graphite - Pre-Weighted, Pre-Drilled and Primed Ready for Paint -The Lazer
- FREE PRO Axle Guide and Wheel Spacer from Pinewood Pro. $17 Value!
- Complete pine derby car kit with Official BSA parts precision tuned for speed!
- Official BSA car block, pre-weighted, drilled and primed. Weights set for optimal center of gravity for maximum speed
- Official BSA Speed Wheels from Pinewood Pro, lightly lathed and precision tuned so your car starts fast and reaches maximum speed
- Official BSA polished axles from Pinewood Pro, deburred and polished to minimize friction
PRO Driller Tool for use in Pinewood Derby Cars - Straight Axle Holes - 2.5 Degree Axle Holes - Raised Wheel Hole
- Drill Axle holes to create perfectly straight or 2.5 degree angled axle holes so your car is fast.
- Drill new axle holes or drill into existing pine car derby axle slots using our exclusive View Port.
- Drill 2.5 degree angled axle holes to cant your axles to reduce friction – less friction, faster speed!
- Drill a "raised wheel" axle hole to reduce friction further. This proven technique WILL make your car faster.
- Easy slide adjustment fits any car block. Includes instructions and a 2.2mm drill bit for easy axle insertion.
Scale Digital Postal Postage Rcbs Bowl Mini Herbs Certified Powder Model Food Lbs Hunting Pocket Bow Knife Kit Agricultural Medical Grain Aircraft Gunpowder Points Derby Luggage 0.1oz Coin Car Fishing Smoke Weight Arrow Balance Hanging Fluid Pinewood Gems Portion Diamond Tobacco Carat Wheels200g Gold Archery Carbon Arrowhead Broadhead Smoking .01g Diecast 100g 5kg 300g Ammo Diet Jewelry Electronic Fighter Lcd Weigh Gun Rifle Cigarette Weighing Compact American Conversion 0.1g Silver Boxcars
- Precision Digital Pocket Scale
- Cover - Extension Tray
- 2 AAA Batteries (included for FREE)
- Lifetime Warranty
Maximum Velocity Pine Derby Car Kit | Derby Car Kit Includes Speed BSA Wheels, Axles, Graphite & Tungsten Weight | Maxinator Pinewood Car
- ENGINEERED FOR WINING RESULTS - Our premium CNC pinewood car body made with a sleek aero dynamic design.
- QUALITY TUNGSTEN WEIGHT - Derby car kit includes superior Tungsten weight. All weight pockets cut specifically for included tungsten.
- PROFESSIONALLY LATHED BSA WHEELS - Wheels lathed on state of the art CNC lathe. Tread surface trued to center of hub bore. All wheels have matched mold numbers ensuring that the bore diameter and other wheel measurements are identical, maximizing performance.
- SPEED AXLES - Not your standard BSA out of the pine derby car kit axles. Accurate, round shaft to improve performance. No burrs and crimp marks, eliminating tedious work. Also creates a faster more consistent derby car.
- NOT ALL PINE DERBY CAR GRAPHITE IS CREATED EQUAL - Maximum Velocity lube dry graphite is a proprietary blend of high-purity natural flake graphite for top performing pine derby cars.
Pinewood Car Derby Tungsten Weight 8-Pack, 3oz Total - Incremental Dense 3/8" Diameter Cylinder Weights to Fine Tune Your Racer
- INCREMENTAL eight (8) pack of weights allows you to fine tune your pinewood car's weight for maximum speed. Exact sizes below in description
- HEAVY: Class 3, Grade 3 tungsten weights are twice as heavy as steel weights of the same size
- UNIVERSAL: cylinder weights fit all normal, popular pinewood car models
- SIMPLE: just drill the 3/8" diameter holes, position the weights into place, and slide them into your racer
- CONVENIENT: 3/8" diameter weights fit standard drill bits. We have chamfered one end for comfortable handling (as pictured)
Maximum Velocity Premium Pinewood Car Graphite Powder | Easy Application tip for Derby Car Wheels & Axles | Graphite Lubricant for Pine Derby Car Kits
- NOT ALL PINE DERBY CAR GRAPHITE IS CREATED EQUAL - Maximum Velocity lube dry graphite is a proprietary blend of high-purity natural flake graphite for top performing pinewood cars.
- HELP YOUR RACER WIN - Maximum Velocity has been serving the Pine Derby Car community for 20 years. All our products are tested and proven to help you reach Maximum Velocity!
- EASY APPLICATION - Pointed tip for easy application to derby car wheels and axles.
- MINIMIZES FRICTION & MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE - Our graphite will minimize the friction between your pine derby car wheels and axles.
- MADE IN THE USA
Pine Derby Car BSA Speed Wheels and Axles Kit | Professionally Lathed | Pinewood Car Wheels
- PROFESSIONALLY LATHED BSA WHEELS - Wheels lathed on state of the art CNC lathe. New for the 2021 race season not only is the outer tread surface lathed to the center of the wheel bore but the inner edge of the wheel is also machined true to the center of the bore.
- MATCHED MOLD NUMBERS - All wheels have matched mold numbers ensuring that the bore diameter and other wheel measurements are identical, maximizing performance.
- SPEED AXLES - Not your standard BSA out of the pinewood car kit axles. Accurate, round shaft to improve performance.
- LESS WORK FOR YOU - No burrs and crimp marks, eliminating tedious work. Also creates a faster more consistent derby car.
- READY TO RACE - Shaft has a shiny plated surface. You can use the axles as is, or polish them with our Axle Polishing Kit.
Maximum Velocity Pinewood Car Axle Pliers | Essential Tool for Your Derby Car Kit |
- REMOVE AXLES WITH EASE - Removing axles without damaging something used to be quite a chore.
- AXLE PLIER DESIGN - The curved and grooved jaws of the Axle Extraction Pliers provide strong but even gripping power on the axle head.
- FOR USE WITH - BSA, Maximum Velocity, PineCar, RA's and Awana wheels and axles in derby car kits.
- Designed in USA
- HERE TO HELP - Maximum Velocity has been serving the Pine Derby Car community for 20 years. All our products are tested and proven to help you reach Maximum Velocity!
Pinewood Pete Pinewood Car Tungsten Putty Weight - 1 oz. Fine Tune Your Derby Car for Maximum Weight
- EVERY BIT OF WEIGHT HELPS - Maximum legal weight is one of the most important features of a winning pinewood car, so don't leave any on the table.
- EASY FINE TUNING ON RACE DAY - The official race day scale is where the fine tuning happens. Tungsten putty allows you to max out your weight on the fly using the official race day scale.
- FLEXIBLE & MOLDABLE - Our tungsten putty is easily shaped and placed anywhere on your derby car. Best practice is to place the weight as high and rearmost as possible. It is also recommended to place the weight on the topside of the car to prevent the weight from accidentally falling out.
- PINEWOOD PETE QUALITY - Pinewood Pete know's pinewood derby! All products come with a 100% money back guarantee, so buy with confidence.
3 More Questions Answered
Place a pencil under and across the car one inch in front of the rear axle. This is where the car should balance. Place the flat weight on the top of the car and move it forward and back until the car balances on the pencil. This is where the flat weight should be placed under the block.
What's clear is that a lighter car will accelerate more or require less force to accelerate like a heavier car. ... As the acceleration is slower with a heavier car of the same power, you have to accelerate for longer (more time) to cover the same distance so you use more fuel.
Build a Fast Pinewood Derby Car in 6 StepsStep 1: Reduce friction to speed up your car. ... Step 2: Lubricate Axles and Wheels. ... Step 3: Prepare and Polish Axles - Essential for Speed. ... Step 4: Balance and tune your Wheels to Maxiumize Speed. ... Step 5: Add Weight to Increase Inertia.